Lubricating Downtube Shifters ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all

I am replacing the STI shifters on my Roberts with Downtube Shifters. Going to fit some Shimano 105 7 speed indexed but use them in friction mode (until I can afford Dura ace 9 speed)

Before I fit them, should they be lubricated and if so how.

I have read and been given differing opinions so any clarification greatly received.

I normally pop a bit of grease on the shaft, but I've found if you get the friction surfaces greasy or oily, the shifter tends to slip no matter how much you try to tighten it. I try and keep that bit as dry as possible.

Depends. I used to have problems with Campagnolo down tube levers slipping until I was advised to put a bit of grease in them - it was almost like the grease evened out the friction across the whole faces of the pressure plates rather than there being high and low points.

Shimano send them out lubricated as STD with grease. Getting them apart without breaking the grey plastic cover isn't fun.

Depends. I used to have problems with Campagnolo down tube levers slipping until I was advised to put a bit of grease in them - it was almost like the grease evened out the friction across the whole faces of the pressure plates rather than there being high and low points.
What type of grease did you use?

Back