Lotus Sport 110

Re: Lotus Sport 110 bike for sale! Very rare!

IanS62":2dgumtg4 said:
As an aside, the idea for these frames came from Mike Burrows' original monocoque design which led to Boardman's Olympic bike in '94. Lotus stitched Mike up completely and he never received a penny for any of the bikes. Worse than that, they sat on the patent and refused him permission to build any more of them. He's still rather bitter about it....

I don't blame him, so would I to be fair. The track bike has offset wheels to make it easier to corner. It's true, ok ! There's one in the national bike museum. Can't imagine the road one has though, or would be a handful on right handers! :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Sweet ride.

Boardman's fastest-ever TT from the 1994 Tour (some doubt over whether Rohan Dennis has just beaten it?) with an excellent quote from Chris in the comments, after he caught Luc Leblanc:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJ60Kx2j8I[/youtube]

Before this race Leblanc had sniffed at how half the peleton could beat Boardman's hour WR. After Boardman tore him to pieces in this prologue Boardman hit back with "at least we know which half Leblanc is in." Legend!

Good luck with the sale.

Re: Re:

Vino":11kngf84 said:
Sweet ride.

Boardman's fastest-ever TT from the 1994 Tour (some doubt over whether Rohan Dennis has just beaten it?) with an excellent quote from Chris in the comments, after he caught Luc Leblanc:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJ60Kx2j8I[/youtube]

Before this race Leblanc had sniffed at how half the peleton could beat Boardman's hour WR. After Boardman tore him to pieces in this prologue Boardman hit back with "at least we know which half Leblanc is in." Legend!

Nice one Chris, remember watch that. Good response to Leblanc too!
Also remember him coming down in the wet the following year though
Thanks for posting Vino ;)

Mike

Good luck with the sale.

Re: Lotus Sport 110 bike for sale! Very rare!

Mike Muz 67":j84vncoc said:
IanS62":j84vncoc said:
As an aside, the idea for these frames came from Mike Burrows' original monocoque design which led to Boardman's Olympic bike in '94. Lotus stitched Mike up completely and he never received a penny for any of the bikes. Worse than that, they sat on the patent and refused him permission to build any more of them. He's still rather bitter about it....

I don't blame him, so would I to be fair. The track bike has offset wheels to make it easier to corner. It's true, ok ! There's one in the national bike museum. Can't imagine the road one has though, or would be a handful on right handers! :LOL:

Mike

The track bike does have an offset wheel, but it was nothing to do with cornering - it was down to the manufacturing technique. Burrows original design, as used by Boardman at the Olympics, was single sided back and front, and because it was hand made and done in a fairly rudimentary autoclave, he couldn't get it strong enough with the rear wheel offset at a minimum. It didn't make a great deal of difference in fact, and virtually all of Burrows' Windcheetah recumbents, both two and three-wheeled versions, used offset rear wheels with no real disadvantage. When the design was taken up by Lotus, their more advanced techniques (and better quality carbon fibre) meant they could get the required strength with less offset. It was also more aerodynamic, of course. It still handled well enough tho; I know, as I still have one of the original Burrows bikes.

The road version on this thread had a forked rear end and had no offset. A lovely bike, but they made enough changes to the original Burrows design so that they didn't have to pay him any royalties under copyright law. They really were a bunch of shits, sadly.

Re:

Hmmmm, where do you live ? :LOL: :LOL:

Do you ride it at all, out of interest?

Re:

I watched - via youtube - the documentary on Boardman's first hour attempt in '93. Riding for North Wirral Velo/Kodak. Remember him doing it, how young does he look there!
Interesting that he chose a Corima-framed bike for the record, apparently claiming on the documentary that it was slightly lighter.
How many of those frames do you see for sale?

GLWS, it's a nice looking frameset

Mike

Re:

My one . Mike Burrows has done some work on it for me

Attachments

• lotus 22.jpg
    lotus 22.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,366
Re:

Racing on it during this year. Also on display @ Brands Hatch on the Lotus stand next to Richard Hills 108

Attachments

• southrn counties.jpg
    southrn counties.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • lotus 1.jpg
    lotus 1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,363
Back