Look 585 - anyone had or got one?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am looking for another rim brake frame "just in case" - ideally something "modernish"... The look 585 came out about the same time as my pinarello Paris carbon (mid 00s) and I think I almost got the look instead at the time. It's a little older than I was thinking of but I have found a couple of decent 585's for sale at reasonable prices, just wondering if anyone has ridden one and what you think?

no-one? have done some more research and it seems the headsets on these might be a non-standard size with hard to find parts, which is putting me off a little right now...

Thanks for the reply! I've read the headsets on some look models are difficult to replace or find parts for if needed - do you know if that's the case? I wouldn't want to get one, to find that the headset needs servicing and parts are impossible to find!

yep they use a head fit2 system , which seems to work well . I did not worry too much about spares . I bought my 586 as a best bike, so will not get loads of use, and the headset worked when I bought it.

They use the look headfirst which is awesome but you can use a standard headset too but I forget the sizes but it’s tapered. They are an absolutely fabulous ride. Did LEJOG on a 586 (not this one as it’s NOS) and is so comfortable. Sone criticize tge rear end bit stiff enough but I can’t say ove noticed any discernible different to a 595 which I’d regarded as stiff. Look frames are superb quality with very good paint.

Older Look carbon frames do indeed "look" brilliant!
Well made, reliable, stylish - and I can't imagine there's not a solution to any unusual headset fitting.
I've chopped away a broken s-works fork to free up the built-in size- specific lower bearing mount (the actual fork was discontinued) then bonded this onto a standard 1 1/8 fork. Still perfect 5 years later.
Araldite (or similar) is basically the same stuff as most of the frame is bonded up with, meaning that carbon frames can be modified in the kitchen! (By a competent person and at their own risk obvs🤣)
But you can probably just buy the bearings - not many cycle manufacturers make a custom bearing just for a few thousand frames.

Older Look carbon frames do indeed "look" brilliant!
Well made, reliable, stylish - and I can't imagine there's not a solution to any unusual headset fitting.
I've chopped away a broken s-works fork to free up the built-in size- specific lower bearing mount (the actual fork was discontinued) then bonded this onto a standard 1 1/8 fork. Still perfect 5 years later.
Araldite (or similar) is basically the same stuff as most of the frame is bonded up with, meaning that carbon frames can be modified in the kitchen! (By a competent person and at their own risk obvs🤣)
But you can probably just buy the bearings - not many cycle manufacturers make a custom bearing just for a few thousand frames.
Not necessary as it’s a fairly standard tapered headset. 1 1/4 on the bottom bearing 1 1/8 on the top. Just buy a threadless hidden set with those sizes and it’s fine. Deda do one.

Attachments

• IMG_9889.png
    IMG_9889.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
Back