Long Mynd: Thurs 24th March - Aftermath

What a good day :D I have a few poor photos which I will post up over the weekend. That's the problem with being the slowest, never in a position to take 'action ' shots.
Highlights: Well the whole day was a highlight really.
Various things stand out in a surreal kind of way, not the least of which was losing two members within 50 metres of the car-park, and then finding a tank in a farmyard.
No mechanicals (on route) :D Just the bulging sidewall to Ed's rear tyre found in the carpark prior to setting out. Lunacy of the day (possibly due to an excess of enthusiasm) was Ed's suggestion that "it would probably be OK". :roll: NO it wouldn't, particularly as he hit 41 mph somewhere, and I can't think where on a road that could have happened. But the patron saint of Retrobikers took notice and supplied a bike shop that happened to have a sale on.

And what a selection of down-hills :cool: From the first long track from the trig point down to the pub, to the last steep singletrack hugging the side of the Batch.......but they were all earned.

Continuity with last years Mynd ride was maintained by the barmaid from last years pub ensuring that she was there to serve us at this years pub. Brownie points to John here who clearly took far too kean an interest first time round and spotted this, and double Brownie points for riding has T.RAXX, a pretty testing outing. It may not be retro, but the thumbies and Powergrips are :D

I want to do it again. I've already started looking at tweaking the route....

Thanks for a fantastic day out Rob and Ed: Must spend less time working and more riding.

It was good to meet a Paul and Pete, and I'm still not sure whose idea it was to give them the slip.

Fantastic last blast down: got a bit of everything for everyone to enjoy and fear. We will have to try to weave that into the next ride.

Great pics Ed

John

I finally stopped farted around midday today - what the hell was in my pie?! :? :shock:

oooo

hang on

I'm the only one who had the Stilton, maybe that was it...

Anyhoo...
What a cracking day! Have to give full credit to Rob (and helpers?) for putting together a fantastic route, really making the most of the area. In the past I've struggled with walking up/plummeting down and not really getting the best from it, so this was ace!

Other highlights; obviously the lemon cake, the aforementioned pie, the stunning T-Raxx (John was very patient with all my questions he must have answered a hundred time before - cheers John!), the look on the two modern riders' faces as they walked up this serene hillside at dusk, only to be confronted by me leading a pack of loons straight at them at 41mph (Ed has evidence!), Gav kicking up dust eddies in the setting sunlight as we chased into hidden valley, the NWA boys doing more miles than the locals just to prove we're harder... :oops:

And oh the descending!

The list goes on and on :D

Perfect day out really, plus I'm sunburnt in March! :LOL:

Thanks again for inviting us down, see you all at FoD or Three Tribes or back for more in the Summer... :cool:

Back