Long And Hard Before Buying Diesel!

Diesel is a dirty fuel and I for one am pleased that it's being hit (even though I do have one but it's for towing and the vehicle has no petrol option otherwise I would have bought one).
It's become the default choice for MSM sheep to follow without thinking about it.
Because it's dirty by nature to make it clean you have to strap on ever more restrictive, complicated and expensive emission control systems (that badly hit economy) to it to clean the exhaust, these hit the economy. They also have to be tightly monitored by the vehicle control systems and because of all the crud in the fuel they clog up and fail with regular occurrence (on older cars they can easily make the cost of repair outweigh the cost of replacement) so the cars have a shortened lifespan and cost more to run as a result.
Petrol although not the end answer is inherently cleaner as the refining process removes most of the crud so needs less to make it cleaner on the air and hence they breakdown and need replacement less. From my basic chemistry classes refining oil to Petrol doesn't produce significantly more pollution than to diesel so that's a win.
The reason for Diesel originally was because it was less refined and storage was easier it was a lot cheaper to buy as well as around 25% better in economy.
Now with the taxes the cost is the same if not more and it's likely to widen with Petrol being much cheaper and the gap between economy closing too (as petrol doesn't need the strangulation of emission control systems to make it clean) the only reason to buy Diesel will be pulling power.
Pulling power may soon disappear too as with the advances with Turbo charging torque in a petrol motor is getting better from lower in the rev range.

There is a lot of sense in the arguments in showing the dust to dust impact of a vehicle (EV's fare badly here) not just the headling grabbing stuff as it make for sobering reading that doesn't fit the Government and MSM narrative.

Carl.

Re:

Science now agrees with what my nose has been telling be for years as I wait at the traffic lights, surrounded by smelly diesel vehicles. When it was mainly busses and trucks that were diesel, you could hang back a bit and avoid a face full of black soot as they pulled away; not so easy now with so many diesel engines.

Re:

This will have an effect in resale values in the medium and long term, many corporates have large fleets of diesels on their balance sheets and the contingent liability is an issue - it worries them.

New diesel car sales are already down.

Secondly on the subject of diesel. Most of the UK refining capacity was built when diesel was a niche product, and only recently that capacity has reduced from 9 refineries to 6, and those 6 are under threat of closure. One, the Total refinery in Lincolnshire has reduced its workforce and halved its refining capacity.

I'll leave you the reader to make the conclusions.

Jon.

Back