Lights

Re:

Have a look at: http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bi ... abase.html

There's some useful beam shots that give some idea of what x number of lumens actually looks like. Beam shape is also important, I have a Cateye Nano Shot Plus, which is an all-in-one unit with about 650 lumens on maximum, but a fairly narrow beam, which makes it good on the road and it can be quickly removed.

I also have a ~900 lumen light with a separate battery pack, but it's very "floody", which isn't very good on road, unless you angle it down a lot, it's too dazzling for oncoming traffic, you can't remove it quickly if you want to pop into a shop either.

Yeah, I agree with the floody nature of some of these cheap lights. Fantastic for offroad/areas with no lights - not great for other road users. I've seen traffic on the other side literally pull over before I got into the habit of manually dipping them. I'd cycle past and it was like daylight inside the cab of their car. Not kind. Once I tried out the flashing mode in London. Seriously obnoxious - everything reflective like street signs was strobing for about a 1/8 mile away.

Now I tend to combine with small handheld fat pencil like torch - that is plenty bright but a very narrow beam - for on road with a Chinese floody jobby for off.

Re:

Those Chinese single XM-L T6 lights are around 700 lumens, not the claimed 1800. A single Cree XM-L can't make any where near 1800 lumens. I have one of the Chinese XM-L lights and I also have one of the Smart 700 lumen lights in the link I posted earlier. They both seem about the same in terms of brightness. The Smart is a great light for 30 quid, it uses a Cree XM-L2.

It is great we have the choice to spend less than £20 and a little time and get lights that are light years ahead of what we had back in the day. (See what I did there?)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back