LGV drivers CPC module - Cyclist awareness

66 triumph daytona":13ezdt19 said:
firedfromthecircus":13ezdt19 said:
I'm glad this is coming in as awareness is the key to understanding all other road users. Having been on all sides of the equation I know that a little bit of consideration and understanding can make things more pleasant and safer for everyone. Most professional drivers just want to do their days work and go home with the money without any hassle or hurting anyone, so teaching them how to do that better is a big step in the right direction. Sadly there are the others who will need a bit more work!
"I dont want no Bentley or Ferrari just a Scania"These guys listen to waaay too much Johnny Cash and are very close to their cousins I`d imagine :) .

firedfromthecircus":2i4uy8kx said:
I'm glad this is coming in as awareness is the key to understanding all other road users. Having been on all sides of the equation I know that a little bit of consideration and understanding can make things more pleasant and safer for everyone. Most professional drivers just want to do their days work and go home with the money without any hassle or hurting anyone, so teaching them how to do that better is a big step in the right direction. Sadly there are the others who will need a bit more work!

Got chatting with a HGV driver with an attitude like this a few months ago. He bragged about his 'speciality' intentionally nudging or forcing a few cyclists into open road works over the years !!! :evil: .. I encouraged him to say his piece first, then let him have it and he left abruptly. Cafe owner was shocked too.

Delighted this has been introduced and they have to ride.

Re:

According to the instructor, 24, 000 drivers have done this course now.

Pity it is not compulsory. It is one of many modules, drivers do the ones most appropriate to their job. Drivers have to do 5 day's training in five years. Ongoing.
Compulsory for any hgv driver who goes into London now.
Did Boris actually do something positive as London mayor?!

Re:

It genuinely bothers me that the form of transport I choose to use somehow changes my status from human to object in the eyes of some people.

Of course 99% of this boasting is bullsht, but never the less the thought is there.

On the plus side I have benefited from people who have undergone this training and recently e-mailed a transport manager, complimenting his driver on a pretty much perfect overtake. Both the manager and the driver were chuffed to receive positive feedback. It also helps to reinforce that people who cycle also have computers, e-mail and cameras on their bikes.

We will never get rid of the bigoted views of some, they are just sad b'stards who hate everyone that is not them, and probably don't think much of themselves either.

Back