LGV drivers CPC module - Cyclist awareness

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Technically pedestrian, cyclist and motorcyclist awareness.

In order to be able to drive an LGV in the U.K. you must do 5, day long courses within 5 years. At the end, you are given a Certificate of Professional Competence card, C.P.C. like a credit card. In our firm, that means a day each year. It's rolling, so after the initial five years, you carry on to keep it topped up so to speak. Still awake.

Speaking of which, it is really hard not to nod off during these days!

On Saturday I will be attending the above module, having ridden the twenty-ish miles there. Hoping the weather is good, I will be riding home along the South Downs Way. The irony!
One half of the day will be theory, the other half practical. Where some of my colleagues will have to get on a bike! :shock: I'll take the camera! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It is all for the greater good though, if it saves just one life. I imagine there will be a lot of huffing and puffing from my colleagues, and looking at me daggers. Fcuk em! :LOL: :LOL:

TBH, I can imagine it is a nightmare, even as a keen cyclist, to drive a lorry in a big city. Not only to be constantly looking in the mirrors checking all around you, but there is always a risk of someone coming out of a shop, and getting on their bike right next to you, once you have checked.

Lesson over! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Over to you, Pedro666! ;)

Mike

Do they teach you to I.d. The mangled wreckage as you prize it from your wheel arch?

Re:

Well, if it's Italian, I obviously roll back and forth so it's completely fcuked! Anyone want aero frame tubes? :LOL: :LOL:

Or do you mean people?

Mike

I'm glad this is coming in as awareness is the key to understanding all other road users. Having been on all sides of the equation I know that a little bit of consideration and understanding can make things more pleasant and safer for everyone. Most professional drivers just want to do their days work and go home with the money without any hassle or hurting anyone, so teaching them how to do that better is a big step in the right direction. Sadly there are the others who will need a bit more work!

Attachments

• dipper-dave.jpg
    dipper-dave.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 394
Re:

My colleagues coming from that perspective quite often

F-----g cyclists, shouldn't be on the road, no tax, no insurance, getting in the way, etc
You can't tell them, they know best, done it since they were 3 months old ! Tits!

Difficult to get through to them, they know it all

So while they have to get on a bike does that mean you can drive so close to them at say 40mph and clip their ears with a wing mirror they may just get the notion of how fcuking scary it is ohhh I wish you could

Re:

Sadly, for that idea at least, the mirrors are too high

Whilst on the subject though, the mirrors are so big, that if I approach a junction and look both ways without moving back and forth in the seat, there can, and has, been a car in the blind spot behind the mirror. So cyclists are even more easy to miss, along with motorcyclists.

firedfromthecircus":2eu7xnu3 said:
I'm glad this is coming in as awareness is the key to understanding all other road users. Having been on all sides of the equation I know that a little bit of consideration and understanding can make things more pleasant and safer for everyone. Most professional drivers just want to do their days work and go home with the money without any hassle or hurting anyone, so teaching them how to do that better is a big step in the right direction. Sadly there are the others who will need a bit more work!
These guys listen to waaay too much Johnny Cash and are very close to their cousins I`d imagine :) .

Back