Lardy Pace RC 405 weight saving project.

tintin40":266tykit said:
How much you looking to spend? As loosing weight is a wallet busting hobbie.

CHange the seat to a 100% carbon seat. Stem & bar go Carbon as well?

I'm going to keep that seat (unless something just as comfortable is on the market and lighter) as the last seat I had on my old bike wouldn't have looked out of place in a 15th century torture chamber. That one was a carbon jobby that had me in agony whenever I rode. Never again will I subject my knackers to such torment.

I don't mind going carbon in the slightest, that is as long as an alloy alternative isn't lighter :D

You mention your mates thinking your ride is lardy.

Are they on full sussers too?

It doesn't see so lardy to me, considering the travel it has I would want to have fairly beefy gear on it.

You will pay a lot to gain little, unless you radically alter the suitability of the bike for the task it was made for.

I would think about speccing up a nice light hardtail, or getting a superlight XC machine.

Otherwise carbon bars and a lighter wheelset, and the lightest tyres you can cover your terrain in.

Couple of hundred spent on lightweight clothing is an idea too.

highlandsflyer":h90i97gd said:
You mention your mates thinking your ride is lardy.

Are they on full sussers too?

It doesn't see so lardy to me, considering the travel it has I would want to have fairly beefy gear on it.

You will pay a lot to gain little, unless you radically alter the suitability of the bike for the task it was made for.

I would think about speccing up a nice light hardtail, or getting a superlight XC machine.

Otherwise carbon bars and a lighter wheelset, and the lightest tyres you can cover your terrain in.

Couple of hundred spent on lightweight clothing is an idea too.

Hey ya highlandsflyer

You talk a lot of sense. The fella I mentioned has a hard tail so there really isn't going to be a sensible comparison made between the two bikes.

A change to a lightweight crank, cassette, chain would make a fair bit of difference I would have thought and not compromising the bike like you're suggesting would be made if weight saving went to the extremes :D

Doubt it is even heavy in the first place ?.

The only thing I would do to save a chunk of weight would be to "1 x 10" it. 34t Hope ring up front (from wiggle), with a superstars chain guard and 11-36 cassette on the rear. Thus removing the 2 outer crank rings, the front shifter, front mech and all associated cables, what you get for these on ebay will near enough cover the cost of conversion.

Here is mine
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196035

ps: It will also significantly increase the look of the bike, triple cranks are minging, and yours is a shocker :LOL:

This is an 130mm travel frame. Not sure why your forks are wound down so low. Can they be wound back up to 130?

If they can't then change them for some 130mm air forks.

Don't think there's anything really lardy on there. Only way to save serious weight is the fork and running non-UST urban tubeless tyres (which I wouldn't do personally).

If you think it handles badly, it MIGHT be the forks that are the problem.

CalaisWoodBurner":2x25jjsh said:
Doubt it is even heavy in the first place ?.

The only thing I would do to save a chunk of weight would be to "1 x 10" it. 34t Hope ring up front (from wiggle), with a superstars chain guard and 11-36 cassette on the rear. Thus removing the 2 outer crank rings, the front shifter, front mech and all associated cables, what you get for these on ebay will near enough cover the cost of conversion.

Here is mine
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196035

ps: It will also significantly increase the look of the bike, triple cranks are minging, and yours is a shocker :LOL:

I'd rather stay with the biggest chainring that I can get on the bike, that being a 44t at the moment :D

You're right about what I've got on there (crankset-wise) at the moment. Not too sure to go with some Exralite chainrings or just go all guns blazing and pick up a secondhand XTR 9 speed.

dbmtb":1hzrjuuv said:
This is an 130mm travel frame. Not sure why your forks are wound down so low. Can they be wound back up to 130?

If they can't then change them for some 130mm air forks.

Don't think there's anything really lardy on there. Only way to save serious weight is the fork and running non-UST urban tubeless tyres (which I wouldn't do personally).

If you think it handles badly, it MIGHT be the forks that are the problem.

The reason my forks are low is because I'd just been riding on the roads. Same goes for the rear shock - both can be locked out ;)

I didn't say that it handles badly, bit lost as to where that came from? It handles very, very well. I'm a fan of the forks I've got on there already.

As I've already mentioned, I'm running tubeless.

I'm waiting on an XT rear cassette, could have gone for an XTR but there's not too much in the XT and XTR cassettes. I'm also waiting on a Sram 991 hollow pin chain which would lighten the load a touch...

Back