laptop tech Q

I would buy it from Crucial. If it doesn't fit, send it back, no messin'.

Really, if it's £25 per GB, I would not want to install more on a machine of that age anyway. It could become like trigger's broom.

Good point , it already has 512mb in it so i guess 1512mb isn't too bad .

I'll get it all ordered tomorrow

1GB is £40 at Crucial.com

get it from ebuyer for a lot less. (£28 identical stuff)

What speed processor do you have? I may have a 1.6 or 1.7GHz P-M you could upgrade with.

chris667":3uiuwxd6 said:

That implies it they only support the 512MB modules, which is what I mentioned above. (and what crucial mentions but they go buy manufacturer.
But the wiki thing pointed out which I assume is tested capacity by members ? says 2GB max. I'm not saying it is ;)

I do know the maximum for the 855PM chipset is 2GB though, you need EDIT/ not double sided but the stacked type* /EDIT RAM for that.

(Personally I wouldn't waste the money going over 1GB total. It did me on a P-M computer fine, but I don't know the intended applications.)

*that does not mean non-stacked will not work, more like they were not available.

EDIT
found this, and has over 1GB of RAM (1.25GB than 2GB)
http://jonchoo.blogspot.com/2007/03/ibm ... -2672.html

Got the 1gb of memory so it now has 1.5gb , although I've not really had much of a play since putting it in .

Got a Kingston 8gb 133x compact flash card for £15 , hoping it'll be quick enough without being too much ££ that if it doesn't last I've not lost a lot .

Still waiting for the new usb hard drive to turn up as well as the cf-ide adapter .

I got bored so decided to update its bios , it could only be done realistically easy with windows so I stuck that on it , it wouldnt recognise the wireless card or even the ethernet when i tied it to the wall even though xubuntu was fine before so I spent a long time trying to sort that then thought sod it I'll just copy the bios update from the Lenovo site onto the Dell and usb it across :LOL:

While messing about I thought id give Puppy a go so downloaded an iso and put that on a disc , copied it to a usb as the x31 allows it to boot from that but I didn't really get on with its layout , it also wouldn't connect to the interweb .

Tried Damn Small Linux after that but didn't like that too much either , it again wouldn't connect :?

So I'm just waiting for the postie to drop the rest of the stuff off and hoping I haven't cocked the routers settings and end up spending ages working out how .

spent a long time trying to sort that then thought sod it I'll just copy the bios update from the Lenovo site onto the Dell and usb it across

been there done that, that sudden why didn't I just do that in the first place :D

:LOL:

I have no intention of keeping windows on it , it was just put on for the sole purpose of doing the bios so I hoped to be able to just press the thinkpad button and it does it itself but nope .

I kinda figured I would be able to copy the update across but I didn't want to be beaten by it not connecting , in the back of my mind I know I'm going to delete windows or just remove the harddrive and put it in a box but before I do I want it to get the signal dammit :LOL:

It doesn't matter in the slightest but not being able to work out why it wont work is incredibly grating .

When I put xubuntu on the x31 everything worked no problem , I stuck in the ethernet cable from the router and it sorted out all the relevant drivers no problem ; except the sound , it didn't seem to work , so after spending ages looking for solutions all over the internet involving all sorts of scripts and changing players I saw one post on a forum that just said " have you tried turning the volume up ." i had pressed the + button a couple times at the very start but got nothing , now I pressed it a good few seconds and it came in :oops: :oops:

Seems it just needed to be held a while as it was very very low :LOL:

That's like the good old Wi-Fi switch problem. So may times they have been knocked if on the front (of my laptops) or on others they've been disabled with an easy to touch button on the top. Spend many many hours, even flashing my router when my brother brought his laptop round and we couldn't figure it out.

Which should have taught us when we tried to use his bluetooth to connect ones, that was also turned of by a button. Of course windows just sees it as not working but enabled.

Back