Lance Armstrong Kit

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So in preparation for our impending house move, we've been boxing up and clearing out. Buried in my kit was a jersey i must have bought around 25 hazy years ago. Time has been kind to it, my physique, not so much :facepalm:

Id never realised, but after some google work, its the Motorola/USA type as worn by Mr Armstrong which made me wonder, in light of everything, is there a fan base these days?

Despite my wifes suggestion (after she stopped laughing at me wearing it) its probably worth more to me in sentiment than cold hard cash, i still really like it and it does remind me of simpler (personnal) times, id be quite happy to bury is for another 25 years

Matt

Keep it!
I still have a pair of Nike US Postal shorts from back in 99 or so. Sentimental reasons for keeping, but still fit and still in great condition despite many miles of wear and tear.
They might be Lances team but back then we didn't know what was to come so he, and the gear meant something different back then to what it would mean to buy his kit today. Not the biggest fan, either back then or today but I had these shorts when I travelled from home in Oz to watch the 2001 Tour so my attachment is not so much to do with Lance.

Jamie

It is one of those things that to me doesn't really matter. I myself looked quite deeply into the whole drug issue in 2016, which was my last year of racing time trials in the UK and it was quite clear to me that the sport is riddled with drugs - at all levels. And across all sports as well.

If I was to go into detail about all the ins and outs about it, it would make for a very long reply indeed; so I will spare the sanity of people on here by not doing that! Suffice to say I have been in the sport long enough to know what the drug issue is about, the shady past, and what riders and other pro athletes today are doing to undertake their sport to win, using methods that to the eyes of someone who believes in fair play, is wrong.

I myself have a 1998 US Postal Trek OCLV which is my good summer bike, it was the first ever US Postal frame that came into the UK. I have absolutely no problem riding it; it is a fantastic bike that rides amazingly well. I even have a pair of Lightweight wheels from that era as well that I got for hill climbs and hilly time trials, which are the same spec as used by Ullrich and Armstrong at the time. and yes I also have a US Postal top/shorts and also arm warmers.

The key point to make is that the Armstrong era will of course be known as the 'epo era' and rightly has been outed as a terrible time. However I believe that without doubt it is still going on; it is just that the techniques used are different. Think of it like crime; the smart criminals are moving onto online crime, the stupid criminals are still going into physical shops and trying to rob them, and getting caught.

Back