Kona Track T W O, what to do. (warning, this aint pretty)

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
So, these were stuck to a bike I bought for bits.
Had an IBOC ChroMo frame that looked like this, and wasn't salvageable. And if you leave it like this it'll rot through and through.
Sandblast and powdercoat black seems like the best option, or is it?

I'm not keeping them, they will be sold.

20230613_113846.jpg

Attachments

• 20230613_113824.jpg
    20230613_113824.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 20
I'd inspect the inside of the leg as well if it's easy to do so, but blasting and pwdercoat sounds like a good course of action to me.

I would try with wd40 and tin foil first as it kind of worked for me, if that doesn’t work yeah sandblast and powdercoat

They are kona forks if you are wondering… (wait just seen you knew in the title sorry)

I kinda want them hehe… err what size is the steerer?

Depends on how much time/effort you want to put into them. Could just be superficial and straightforward.

You would be able to sell them in any condition, they would still fetch good money in that state, of course they could fetch quite a bit more if refurbished. Check for cracks too though.

When the heat gets a little tolerable I'll take them off to inspect for damage, lenght of the steerer is roughly 160- to 165mm.
I soaked them in Ranex, but at first glance it doesn't get the results for a nice polish.
Like I said, I had a Mongoose in the same state as this, sat outside for 10 years. Sinful.

These seem rather rare because of the recall (slippery sliding legs), I see none for sale either.
Time effort wise, I'll see what the Ranex does, if not satisfactory I'll bike to the local powdercoater and ask for a quote in black with matte finish.

If you are planning on selling them, I would have thought most buyers would rather choose the re-finish themselves rather than buy them with your choice of refinish. Similarly to frames, I wouldn't expect a repaint/powdercoat to add as much value as the cost.

Exactly this. Bang for your buck, sell as is. These are rare for good reason; they were recalled!

If you are planning on selling them, I would have thought most buyers would rather choose the re-finish themselves rather than buy them with your choice of refinish. Similarly to frames, I wouldn't expect a repaint/powdercoat to add as much value as the cost.
I understand, but this needs a re-chrome-ing(sp?)
The pitting is too far in the steel, is ChroMoly something you can recoat? I'd think you'd be left with a re-chroming. So you wouldn't get the brownish/gold look Chrome Molybideen(sp?) coating has.

Also that's a far more expensive option then powdercoat, how many would want to do that.
I don't even know what a fork like this is worth now that were at it 🤪

Anyways this is the state she's in after Ranex- 400-1000-Autosol
Even the least affected parts are shot sadly.

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 79
  • pitless.jpg
    pitless.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 77
Back