Kona Titanium Serial Number List - update 16/04/24

Did the finish vary throughout the years?

looking to refresh this 1994 model but its a little confusing on how it should look. Some examples are a high polish (like a Xizang) , some are lightly brushed, and some are untouched so have that natural patina to them.

How was they done when new?

Generally all the same finish per season/production run, not high polished or super shiny. From 1990 to about 1996 it was lightly brushed, a more muted finish (and my personal favourite). Thereafter it was less brushed but not in your face shiny. My theory is because they started painting the frames (for the teams, and then as standard in 1998 for some frames), I suspect the paint takes better to a smoother surface.

IMG_6092.jpeg IMG_6093.jpeg IMG_6091.jpeg Generally all the same finish per season/production run, not high polished or super shiny. From 1990 to about 1996 it was lightly brushed, a more muted finish (and my personal favourite). Thereafter it was less brushed but not in your face shiny. My theory is because they started painting the frames (for the teams, and then as standard in 1998 for some frames), I suspect the paint takes better to a smoother surface.

Been playing with different ideas.

Is this finish the sort of thing ? Or more brushed or more shiny?

Looks a bit more shinny, but going to look different in different light.

Here is the frame in daylight with silver components to contrast it a bit more.

P1010153.JPG P1010152.JPG

Yours is far darker and more brushed than mine for sure. Confusing as in the brochure it refers to a 'hand polished finish'

We also have a second wonky HH SN from 1997 thanks to @swannymere . I saw it briefly on FB but didn't grab the pic in time.

B191059 - Later Top tube Rear Mech Routing, Yellow Decals.

Why the extra digit? Who knows...but there was probably a reason...maybe as simple as that they ran into the 000's (which they had at this point and so changed to the KH prefix the following year)

IMG_0153.png IMG_0152.png

Back