Kona, Marin and Litespeed

Re:

Lack of hassle = sell on here

Risk of scam and hassle = eBay

eBay will get a higher price even after the fees but it’s always a decision if it’s worth hassle. I usually try things on here first and then eBay after a week or so

The follow was posted be my friend Shaun in 2010 (ish), I don't think the bikes have changed much in that time BUT I could be wrong.....

1998 Kona Explosif 853 - with original factory paint and graphics 

1998 18" Kona Reynolds 853 Explosif. Original paint, full 739 XT, rebuilt Bomber 80mm forks, King headset, Thomson stem, Ringle cage, Mavic 517s with REVS, NOS WTB SST, Kore racelite post, Hope post clamp, NOS Onza L-bent bar ends, Hope skewers. My first 853 tubed Kona and the ride is unbelievable! Some bikes are harsh, but fast; some are plush, but slow - this somehow manages to combine both perfectly! 

While looking for parts for this 1998 Explosif on Ebay one evening, the mint 1999 came up as a new listing. As the owner had listed his phone number, I rang him straight away with a silly offer and was prepared to go far higher to end the listing early. Amazingly he accepted as he needed the money quickly to go on holiday with and it was sold within 1 hour of the listing being placed!  The idea was to sell the 1998 one once I had rebuilt it, but when it was completed it came out far better than I expected and I could not part with it after so much effort and work. 

1999 Kona Explosif 853 - nearly NOS! 

My latest project - a 1999 18" Kona 853 Explosif. Hardly used as too big for the first owner. Totally factory original apart from the grips, even the chain and tyres are original! Came with all the Kona and Bomber instruction and warranty manuals, 1999 Kona brochure, original purchase receipt from Evans and even the unused Kona grey touch-up paint they supplied.  Was going to leave it as it is, but have decided to rebuild it and put all the original NOS stuff into storage. It will have full NOS XT750, Mavic 517s with red hope ti hubs, REVS and red DT nips, Thomson stem and post and lots of anno red bits including Hope skewers and hubs, red King headset, NOS Onza L-bent bar ends, Ringle cage, NOS WTB SST saddle. Will take a while to get all the bits in NOS condition, but will be worth it when done. 

Attachments

• 1998 Kona 853 Explosif.JPG
    1998 Kona 853 Explosif.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 227
  • 1999 853.jpg
    1999 853.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 227
Back