Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Going to work, but in very bad taste

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not going to work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
I *do* have an excuse for this that makes it sort of retro.

Back when I was doing courier work I thought that a mountain bike with 1.5-1.75 slicks and drops would be the best all-rounder bike going. The gears would eat hill climbs (this was San Francisco). The tyres would bounce over kerbs, tram rails and pedestrians feet but be decently fast. The bars would give you a good climbing position and you tuck into the drops in a head wind. Fast MTB geometry would be more stable than a racer (nice if you hit debris or holes in the road) and better for road-salmoning through stalled traffic - lots of big steer at moderate speeds.

So that's my excuse.

Of all the bikes of the period the Kona's seemed like the best bet, so - still unable to forget the jeers and beatings* - when I saw a Lava Dome in my size on ebay it seemed a good idea to buy it and prove that I'm utterly sane.

Advice **really** appreciated. At the moment my plan is mount the trigger shifters on Minoura space grips like this - oh, feck, the thing won't let me post links because I'm too noob - and connecting the cantilevers up to ordinary road brake levers.

Later I'd like to add disc mounts (can they be added to the fork or do I need a new one?) and swap the derailer for an Alfine IGH - to maximize the "In your face, carbon fork boy!" factor should I run across any Specialized Tricross owners. Talking of the Tricross, I'm planning on using an adjustable angle 90mm stem (because that's what the Tricross does).

*But that wasn't nearly as bad as what they did to the guy who said "I shall sell fixed gear bikes made out of radiator tubing to people who want to pretend to be couriers. They shall sport goatees and tattoos and bid for Zo bags like Picassos on ebay, and I shall charge exorbitantly and become rich!" I often wonder what happened to him and his crazy idea. Not that I have anything against fixed gear bikes that *aren't* made out of radiator tubing - or even goatee wearers (the bastards).

just make sure you use real off road drop bars not road bars esle it will be an uncontrolable unbrake-able beast off road

I did this when I used to have a lovely 15 mile commute on a mixture of forest tracks and roads, it was perfect for that commute and I did a mini tour of Ireland on it as well ;)

Unlike a lot of other mtb frames a Kona can actually still look good with drop bars :)

noworktoday":3bw4z8il said:
just make sure you use real off road drop bars not road bars esle it will be an uncontrolable unbrake-able beast off road

Nope. If I used Midges or what have you and aimed at offroad I'd have the drops set at the same height the bars are now, and there wouldn't be on advantage on the road. The idea isn't to build a drop handled MTB (although drop bar MTBs are cool and definitely in-period) but an all-rounder 26er with the same limited offroad capabilities as a cyclocross bike. It's a bike designed to make the most of 1.5 slicks, and 46cm or 48cm drops should be able to cope with the terrain a slick is good for.

Jones":1hjcuiue said:
I did this when I used to have a lovely 15 mile commute on a mixture of forest tracks and roads, it was perfect for that commute and I did a mini tour of Ireland on it as well ;)

Unlike a lot of other mtb frames a Kona can actually still look good with drop bars :)

I guessed that when I saw pictures of the drop bar Cotic Road Rat - it looks great and the frame is very Kona 1993... But I do feel considerably reassured - thanks!

Theres no drop bar MTB's 'round 'ere!

aaaaargh_169.jpg

bigbertha3_579.jpg

dsc00966_337.jpg

dsc01190_156.jpg

My 98 Kilauea is currently in "road mode":

main.php

It's running Sora shifters, which required changing to a road front mech (an RSX the shop had kicking around), and a doohicky to convert from top pull to bottom pull, also had to swap the stem for a shorter one/right size for the cinelli bars.

Drops off-road: remove mudguards, fit semi-slicks - bingo:

main.php

Looking at Ted's bike especially I can't help wondering if Cotic have a 90's Kona doing stud duty for their Road Rats:

complete_drop_bar_bike_tea.jpg

..But maybe the Kona is shorter in the chain stays?

I'd be grateful for suggestions about stem length and which components to consider for ***eventual*** replacement - I've read that the BB is one to think about.

PurpleFrog":24lzw38l said:
noworktoday":24lzw38l said:

Nope. If I used Midges or what have you and aimed at offroad I'd have the drops set at the same height the bars are now, and there wouldn't be on advantage on the road. The idea isn't to build a drop handled MTB (although drop bar MTBs are cool and definitely in-period) but an all-rounder 26er with the same limited offroad capabilities as a cyclocross bike. It's a bike designed to make the most of 1.5 slicks, and 46cm or 48cm drops should be able to cope with the terrain a slick is good for.

Not sure a CC bike is that limited off road, but I admire restraint your off road approach implies. When I tried my Kona SS with road drops off road my local single track was nigh on impossible (though I could have perhaps put "suicide levers" on if I had canti's rather than V's) so I've now got some WTB Mountain bars on order. But I'm after building a slightly different beast ;)

Back