Kona Kiluaea headset problem

Trahdercas

Retro Guru
My mid nineties Kona Kiluaea. Can’t remember what year I bought it, hopefully someone here can ID it for me.

Problem is thus: it’s got the original joe Murray headset which was working ok. I removed the headset to replace it but changed my mind and refitted. I removed the bearings, a quick measure suggested they were 5/32

Ordered some new ones but when I re assembled the headset even when tightened to being too stiff to turn the bars there is still play in the lower race.

Either I have fitted the headset wrongly (can’t see I have as the bottom cup is a little rusty on the outside where it was under the original rubber cover) or I have the wrong size bearings.

So questions are:
What year is my Kona?
What size bearings does the Joe Murray headset take.

Answers on a postcard please

Attachments

• 03BAF1FB-84EE-4564-AF69-0DFD3EE7FACE.jpeg
    03BAF1FB-84EE-4564-AF69-0DFD3EE7FACE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 264
Re:

Yeah, bigger bearings in the bottom race I think, I recently did the same thing on my Explosif and seem to have a similar issue, will be interesting to find out what the problem actually is.
Can't find what size bearings I bought to put in the lower race now... But I was sure they were the same as the old ones?

I'm thinking of replacing the lower headset parts with new, you can't see the lower race under the rubber cover that's on the headset anyway...

Re: Re:

Link above suggests 1/4 on bottom race, 5/32 on the top

I’ll let you know how I get on ordering some 1/4 now. Should have paid more attention when I took it apart!

jimo746":2vk4oxf3 said:
Yeah, bigger bearings in the bottom race I think, I recently did the same thing on my Explosif and seem to have a similar issue, will be interesting to find out what the problem actually is.
Can't find what size bearings I bought to put in the lower race now... But I was sure they were the same as the old ones?

I'm thinking of replacing the lower headset parts with new, you can't see the lower race under the rubber cover that's on the headset anyway...

Re:

Re the year, if that is the original colour it will be a 1992 Kilauea. It was introduced part way through the year so didn't appear in the 1992 Kona catalogue. In '93 it followed the same 2 tone paint schemes as the rest of the models.

Back