Kona Kilauea 1995

mazarnold

Retro Newbie
I have a 1995 Original Kona Kilauea, 18 inch frame. It's only got hundreds of miles on it and apart from the hand grips which we replaced with ODi grips, EVERYTHING is original and in full working order. The bike has some light scratches on from storing it, so it is in excellent condition. My husband persuaded me to buy it new but I didn't really enjoy mountain biking until family came along. I wanted to put some front shockers on it recently as we've started going out more in the last twelve months on family rides, but have been advised not to do this as the frame won't cope with modern shocks. I don't want to buy older ones with less travel as technology has obviously moved on since then, so sadly I need to consider letting it go.

I am looking at taking offers and I am advised by our local Evans store that it's worth a good amount of money (even what we paid for it which is £900) due to its condition, but I am really unsure about this? The proceeds of the sale needs to fund a new bike so I will be careful about what I let it go for. If anyone could advise I'd be grateful or even make me a reasonable offer.

Some pictures will really help the estimate. Kona sizing for this age, is from the bottom of the BB to the very top of the seat tube, so confirming if it's 18 or 19" will help.

Unlike fine wines, unless the bike is mega-rare and totally pristine, the value doesn't go up. Also, the sum of the parts, like cars, don't equate to the same total.

So, with that said and without seeing it, IF it's in pristine condition with much of the original components, then you're looking between £200 to £350 tops (on a really good day, and to be honest, we're not having many of those - as sellers - at the moment).

It's definitely 18 inch. I've had two offers instantly at £300 and if it's not worth over £350 then I would rather keep it to be honest and restore it back to prestige condition instead.

mazarnold":3v3093me said:
It's definitely 18 inch. I've had two offers instantly at £300 and if it's not worth over £350 then I would rather keep it to be honest and restore it back to prestige condition instead.

You'd better get the polish out then ;)

As nice as it is, I'm afraid that Evans were talking out of their backsides with regard to the valuation. You'll get £350 for it if it's as original as you say it is and it's all in excellent condition, but I doubt you'd get much more unless you happened to find someone desperate for that model, size and year..

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

That's fine, I appreciate your honesty - not offended. I have an attachment to the bike it as I bought it just after I got married so it would have to be a reasonable offer for me to want to let it go and if not I have an excuse to keep it. :) I raised my eyebrows when Evans said that about the price, but you have to check it out don't you? Hubby sold his Kona Lavadome earlier this year so we knew there was a growing market but also knew it wouldn't go for orginal price. My bike has some light stratches from hubby storing it against other things and the paint has faded so we're looking at giving it a proper respray, service and some TLC.

Re:

As above, will be doing well to get £250-300 I would say.

As for respray, I wouldn't unless the paint is really bad. It makes little sense as an investment or in practice unless Its your main bike or the paint is so bad it needs doing, neither of which sounds the case here.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Thank you for your welcome! It is my main bike actually. I was happy with it until I hired a bike with front suspension and noticed the difference, even with a cheap hire bike. I've now got the costs to get it resprayed etc and it's more than I wanted to pay. The paintwork is in great condition for a 19 year old bike - I just wanted to bring it up like new as everyone else in the family has a new bike. Now I'm back to selling it versus keeping it because I really would like more comfort. (sigh).

Well give it a good clean, degrease, re-oil bits etc.

Get plenty of DECENT photos, as best as you can.

Put a long and detailed description of the bike, correct size etc on here and list at the price you would be happy with. If that's £350 then put that down, if you have no takers there is no loss, no fees for listing on here.

A t cut might get the paint looking a bit better?

It's had a good clean, just needs some oil and funnily enough hubby suggested that some stratches might T-Cut out so we'll look at that too. We've got a link to the full bike spec so could use that. Thanks for your advice, think we will do this. Do appreciate your help. :)

mazarnold":1lqanyuo said:

Some pic's here would help determine if it's in the £350 bracket. If you do keep it but have some inkling you'll sell it in the future, then as echoed already, don't respray. You will never get any return on the investment and in almost every case, respraying lowers the value of the bike. Klein's and really top end machines are the exception.

Latest posts

Back