Kona Hot 18" 1993?

Re: Re:

Steve_T":3rgepaav said:
As Frank stated, that frame was originally mine, well I can't say originally, but I was a previous owner.
I actually just sold it this past spring for more than the auction starting price, which is why I was surprised to see it back up for sale, after the mods and paint job (and massive dent in drive side chainstay repaired) which could not have been cheap.

Should I reveal what I paid for it? I picked it up from a local bike shop that I had taken a P2 fork to, to have the threads extended, and they messed the job up.
So, to resolve rhe situation, the mechanic took me out back to see what they had laying around, and I brought this home, stuck seat post, one pair of xtr canti's, original stem, fork, headset, and Sugino mighty crankset.
I didn't know what I scored unril I got home as there was no top tube decals, and I originally thought it was an explosif, until I found the serial number.

Cheers,
Steve

May I ask what the original schema was?

It wasn't anything fancy, just the dark green, which is why I originally thought it was an Explosif.

Oddly enough, I preferred the ride of my 94 Explosif, in the same size, compared to the Hot.

To follow on from Magas and al-onestare..Totally agree. I joined here back in 2010 and :oops: naively :oops: did 3 re sprays on 1997 cindercone, 1996 Kilauea and 1994 Explosif..all done to a very good standard and Gil M supplied the decals. I had a very good discussion with "Anthony" on the "patina" look.

The discussion went on about the whole retro thing..trails/debris/scratches/history etc etc. Quite a few members have done the "spray/leave thread to gauge other members thought etc. Personally I would spray a mass produced model if i could not one in excellent condition. I would not do it to a hand built/ custom paint/well known builder alive or passed away whatever the condition. I would wait{ to which I have and its paid off} and get the best I could in the way of condition.

In the end it someones property and their's to do as they see fit.

Ernie ;)

Dang, I should have bid, looks like no one wanted it, I could have had it back, modified and painted, for less than I sold it for this past spring!

Back