Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna - 1997

Re:

Time to fit.

On with the copper slip, mess about with spacers to get the right chain line (as Shimano had it, it was 50mm), lower the front mech and fit a chain.

Whilst not as 'bling' as Pip's cranks, I'm very pleased with it, loving the rock ring :D

SP

Attachments

• HT2_Chainset.jpg
    HT2_Chainset.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 455
  • Spacers.jpg
    Spacers.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Copper.jpg
    Copper.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 456
Re:

Start, mid, finish.

Gotta ride it, right? Sod the weather!

SP

Attachments

• 2020-03-01_POST.jpg
    2020-03-01_POST.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 464
  • HHKK_Woods.jpg
    HHKK_Woods.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 2020-03-01_PRE.jpg
    2020-03-01_PRE.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 464
Re:

I love this build!

You’ve done a fantastic job!

I do like the retro parts but must say that I’m a little more function over fashion so really don’t mind a more modern part being added if it improves the build without spoiling overall look.

Nice to see it being ridden too...

I would like one of these in my stable ....

Very well done sir!

Re:

Thank you. It rides very, very well for an old girl. In fact it is exceedingly capable, not far off it's younger stable mate, a 2005 Kona Kula Supreme.

The frameset is 1997 along with the XT bits (less cranks), forks 2001 (first gen Floats) and the wheels 1999. So all in, aside from the saddle, which I haven't made my mind up about, most of it is 20-ish years old.

The pads appear to have hardened through lack of use / time so I might need a new set before Mayhem.

The Mrs let it dry off in the house after the wet ride, so I guess she likes it too ;)

SP

Not really feeling the chainset and the rear mech looks like it's crying under strain. That said, really like the front end set-up with the Fox forks.

Is it a tad too small for you? There's a fair bit of seat-post and spacers on the front-end.

Re:

5’10” on a 19” frame. I have long legs for might height!

I’m cross-chaining in the photo big-big ring, so normally would’t run this combo too often.

SP

Re:

Also +1 on the forks! I like em' The manipulation to run them at 80mm travel is definitely a good one. And all the work you've done on saving this unique 97 frame with the factory disc-tabs is really quite impressive - given one point it almost looked like a write-off!?

I also resorted to running spacers (nylon) to get the right chain line on my 97' Hei Hei using a full M950 set-up - I found that the hard way by trial and error..

If you do happen upon a nice set of Syncros, Raceface or XTR cranks later at good price, i'd also second the move in my view to undergo a transplant.

Back