Kona Fire Mountain 1990 – 18” SOLD

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
For sale we have my Fire Mountain, the bike that got me in to RetroBIKE in 2009. This is my 3rd 1990 Fire Mountain and is without a doubt the best one I’ve owned. To be honest the build quality back then was pretty poor but this one is straight with good threads in the BB / derailleur hanger and decent welds. The paint job is in good condition too. If you’re not familiar with Konas, this is the second model Fire Mountain and replaced the 88/89 one in black and pink with the awful geometry!

I believe the bike was originally supplied by Winklebury Cycles of Basingstoke, I bought it from eBay off a bloke in Southampton who’d had it for years in his shed. Some of the bits were a bit cack, but luckily I had Fire Mountain #2 as a donor and built one good bike from the two. I went through the inevitable upgrade phase with it, but have pretty much returned it to stock for sale. The 1990 catalogue is the Archives on RetroBIKE so you can see the full spec, I’ll list the non-standard bits here:

Saddle: Now a Kona Race Lite item from the early 90s, ripped at the back
Seat Post: Replacement 26.0mm (original one had a nasty steel clamp and was knackered)
Bottom Bracket: Now a sealed 68x122.5 mm Shimano unit – silky smooth
Chain: SACHS, less than the 0.5 wear point on the chain wear gauge
Cassette: Modern HG41, much lighter than the original and less than 30 hours use
Seat Clamp: black alloy
Front Wheel: Rigida on un-named hub. Excellent condition.

I’ve just fitted new front pads and the rears have loads of life left, the tyres are a mixture of Muddy Fox and Kona B Drive. There is some rust on the QRs, bolts etc. but it is nearly 25 years old.

Whilst I really love this bike, it has always been too small for me so I have replaced it with a 19.5” version which I bought recently. This one has better paint than the one I'm keeping :roll: This frame measures 18" centre-top of the seat tube.

Price is £100 excluding shipping. Not the cheapest Fire Mountain, but considering the drive train is in such good nick and nothing is seized or mashed I think it is fairly priced.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... ogue+1990/

Attachments

• FM_Rear.JPG
    FM_Rear.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,347
  • FM_bars2.JPG
    FM_bars2.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,346
  • FM_Front.JPG
    FM_Front.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Kona_FM_1990.jpg