KONA EXPLOSIF 853 - MINT UNRESTORED WITH ORIG RECEIPT, BOOKS

shaun

Retrobike Rider
Hi, just thought I would quickly share my new purchase with you all. It's a 18" Kona Explosif 853, unrestored and original. It was hardly used by its original first owner and still has the original Kona tyres, chainrings, cassette and even the chain! I have put a stretch gauge on the chain and its only half worn. The only part that is not original as it left the dealer is the grips.

The best bit is the fact that it comes with all the original Kona manuals which include the owner's manual, the Marzocchi warranty book, the Marzocchi Bomber instruction book, Kona technical information book, the original purchase receipt from Evans (£1116.97 with discount!), Kona product catalogue and even the Marzocchi clear plastic bag to put them all in - but the icing on the cake has to be the original unused factory Kona touch up paint complete with unused brush, NICE!

I am already in the middle of a Kona 853 custom retro build (the 1998 one in Kona Bad Blue) and only came across this mint one on Evil-Bay while searching for retro Kona parts. It had only been listed a couple of hours when I contacted the seller and made him an instant offer he couldn't refuse and the listing was ended very early indeed!

The intention was to use this new Kona and then sell the project one and all the nice parts but its so mint, I intend to carry on with the rebuild of the other one and give it some hard use, but this new one is just far too good to spoil and will be stored in total original condition. The only thing I will change is the grips to as near as I can get to the original ones to make it perfect.

I am not normally a fan of so called 'garage queen' bikes, but I don't think I have a lot of choice with a classic like this. When I finally get bored with drooling and looking at it in the garage, I might then sell it on to another collector of Konas.

The origianl spec is:
18" Reynolds main tubing - no dents, scratches or chips.
Marzocchi Bomebr Atomlab Z.2
Avid SD 1 SL Levers
Avid Arch Rival Brakes (these are fantastic and rare!)
Kona Stem
Ritchey Force Lite Bars - 170g
Ritchey Front Hub (with oversize Ritchey skewer)
LX Rear Hub
Mavic X221 UB Rims
LX Cranks
LX Front Mech
LX Shifters
XT Rear Mech
Ritchey SPD pedals
SDG Bel Air Saddle
Interlock Seatpost
Shimano LX HG70 Cassette (original!)
Shimano HG 72 Chain (original!)
Kona 'Mr Dirt' Race Light front tyre (original!)
Kona 'The Cleaner' Race Light rear tyre (original!)

What do you think I should do with it?
1. Garage Queen Bike
2. Use it as Kona intended and sell my other rebuild project
3. or sell for a profit as it was an impulse buy that I didn't really need!

Attachments

• kona.JPG
    kona.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,338
Came with all the original Kona manuals which include the owner's manual, the Marzocchi warranty book, the Marzocchi Bomber instruction book, Kona technical information book, the original purchase receipt from Evans (£1116.97 with discount!), Kona product catalogue and even the Marzocchi clear plastic bag to put them all in - but the icing on the cake has to be the original unused factory Kona touch up paint complete with unused brush, NICE!

Attachments

• kona papers.JPG
    kona papers.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,328
Very nice bike; but like everything else, it's only worth what someone will pay on the day...

...and personally I think it's the best looking Explosif of all, though mine looks somewhat different to that now :cool:

hi Stevo, have you a link to your kona 853 as i would love to see how you have built it up. I personally think the period dark grey XTR groupo would suit the look of this Explosif.

shaun":23q6pbat said:
hi Stevo, have you a link to your kona 853 as i would love to see how you have built it up. I personally think the period dark grey XTR groupo would suit the look of this Explosif.

Ahem... Not built-up yet :oops:

Just need to change the springs in my Bams for the lardy ones I've bought and I can get it sorted. Couldn't make up my mind colour-wise so I had it blasted raw and clearcoated, with micro-fine metalflake in the clear coat.

It was going to look like this...

P1040089_a.jpg

...but I'm putting the Bams on it and running disks instead of the manitous and V's.

If the original paint had been in better nick I'd have left it like yours above.

Kind of got side tracked by my purple Kili and my e-stay special (which I'm about to start cabling any moment now... :D )...

Sell it to me, and I'll make sure I ride it like it should be ridden :D

That and it'll give me the chance to take my 1998 off the road for the good spruce up and strip down it deserves.

Back