Koi but not a carp or pond in sight.

Re:

The story so far ........ Thanks for all the comments but due to work life I've been unable to write any sort of reply, until now .
I finally stripped the frame back to its bare bones , the MC2 & bottom bracket proving quite a stressful removal as both seemed to be stuck fast the BB more so & with no access at home to any nearby suitable long bar I had a colleague knock one up at work, but even with this the BB seemed stuck fast then all of a sudden she gave !! Out came a Shimano ES70. Next was the Bar/stem which seemed to be cross threaded, I bought a spanner from Jonrock & had to use the bar on that too but with no real dramas I managed to remove the forks too with no real drama too.

Attachments

• Klien reset (1) (640x480).jpg
    Klien reset (1) (640x480).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 686
  • P1030648 (640x480).jpg
    P1030648 (640x480).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 686
  • Klien reset (3) (360x640).jpg
    Klien reset (3) (360x640).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 686
  • P1030649 (640x480).jpg
    P1030649 (640x480).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 686
Stylus":2fn63q76 said:
Mines got a Manitou Mars Comp (i think) fork, obviously with a Klein specific steerer. I don't know much about it as it came with the bike, it has a lock out. Not sure if it was stock on another Klein model or a crown/steerer transplant but it works. So there are options besides RS.

Thanks for the reply Stylus, I was offered some amazing looking NOS "Race Factory" forks but the steerer tube was 10ml too short they looked the dogs bollocks. Not sure if they where suitable though as they came off a Mantra Full sus. I would like if poss to stick with the RS as Ive spare etc otherwise a pair of Strata would do lovely !!

Thias":318267vx said:
So here is what I would do. Keep the worn stantions until you find a better fork or even a seperate Klein-specific crown with screws for the stantions.

Thias":318267vx said:
If you then find a suitable fork crown with screws, switch to the '95 style stantions and buy a better fork. SL, or FSX maybe.. ;)

Hi Thias thanks for the reply & Yup what you say is exactly how its gong to be, i tried reset racng for a headset reducer & shim enabling me to use my MC2 bar/stem but on both sets of forks I intended to use the steerer is to short ! :cry:

Re:Updated !!

Well Things are stating to move forward now, at last !! Ok, I took the plunge & bought the Forks knowing that the steerer tube was way too short but noticed I could remove the steerer hopefully get some machinist to make a replica, Rampage/Intrinicycle ???.
The Forks look the bollocks & barely a mark on them, not had the opportunity to ride them but they're supposed to be "Smooth like a boss" don't know much about them apart they're Italian from 1997.Found a bit about them here, http://www.mtb-mag.com/en/a-brief-histo ... ks-part-2/
if anyone has any more info feel free to post it.

Attachments

• P1040186 (576x1024).jpg
    P1040186 (576x1024).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 633
  • P1040188 (576x1024).jpg
    P1040188 (576x1024).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 633
Re: Brakes

Gt hold of some of these lovelies, looking for some suitable levers ?? Kooka perhaps ?? Rims & hubs on the way !!!

Attachments

• P1040030 (1024x576).jpg
    P1040030 (1024x576).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 632
Wow the forks and brakes look just amazing and will suit the coi really well indeed :cool: so fingers crossed you can get the steerer you need without to much hassle as those forks look like they were made for the bike :) .

Re:

Cheers Muddypaw the forks originally came off a 97 Klein Mantra in Koi it, was a choice between these & a pair of Manitou Mars Carbon . Hubs & rims come tomorrow !!!

Your welcome Tomahawk and good to know they came off another decent klein as that means your little gem should sit nicely when their fitted and i'm glad you chose these over the manitou's
as i reckon you picked the better forks out of the 2 .

I'm looking forward to seeing the hubs and rims when they arrive so have you already got the spokes or is that being sorted at your lbs and built up there ? .

Hmm i love the idea of rainbow anodized spokes :cool: and the prices seem pretty reasonable although the shipping will bump up the total cost a bit unless you can find some where in thhe UK which may save you a few bob but i'm not aware of any where in the UK that does them but that does mean that their isn't anywhere that dose them so maybe a bit of research is in order and even if the cost worked out the same you wouldn't have to wait as long for them to arrive ..

Yes ti spokes will help reduce the weight a bit if your after a weight of around 19-20lb and it should be doable so your like me then as i have no idea of how to build a wheel so having it done at your lbs is the smart way to get it sorted ..

Back