Klein Attitude Repaint Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the first grey sheet i cuttet with the scissors you can see four logo masks. Two for the white (front and back of the tube) and two for the black (front and back of the tube).

You need a good signmaker and some precision while masking the tape. And a really good colour. If you have some bad colour you wont get sharp edges.

I've been following both the Klein threads and aside from the crazy posts from some, they have both been great, this one especially as we are getting to see a full refurb from ground zero. As an owner of a Gator Fade rascal, I've always been interested in the skill involved in creating such a lovely paint job. I've managed (in my youth) to respray a few bikes with what I thought at the time, great success without all of the precision tools Martin and Jon have, so in truth, rubbish in comparison, but I have achieved some nice fades, or at least to my untrained amateur eye.

That said, I've a question about the decal spraying process. My rascal has what I have heard referred to as 'de-bossed' decals. It almost seems as the decals were applied before the main colours and then the gator fade sprayed around them. I've no idea if this is normal or not, but was just wondering if you knew Martin, as it seems a lot of effort for very little gain, and the ones you've recently done/posted pictures of look, in my view much better.

Keep up the good work and ignore the fools trying to derail this thread, as I'm enjoying this and looking forward to the finished article.

Code:
It almost seems as the decals were applied before the main colours and then the gator fade sprayed around them. I've no idea if this is normal or not, but was just wondering if you knew Martin, as it seems a lot of effort for very little gain, and the ones you've recently done/posted pictures of look, in my view much better.

Please check the first pages of this threat to see how a debossed logo is made. I showed a tube made for the sea&sky.

The logo colour will be applied at first then the base colour and fade colours.

Thanks Martin, I forgot that this was covered earlier in the thread. I guess my curiosity was around why this kind of 'decalling' was done, as I can't see any real benefit to it and it must be a bit more difficult than laying a decal over the top of the main colours before clear coating? On mine there is a noticeable (well not that much really, but it is there) dip in the paint where the debossed decals are. I guess there will be a slight ridge for decals applied over the top too, but was just wondering why?

Thanks

There seems to be a collective brain fade when it comes to these Klein repaints at the moment.

The sniping, back biting and personal 'beefs' need to stop now. Otherwise myself and the mods will be forced to start binning posts, locking threads and acting against users - which would be a shame.

Martin did ask if he could advertise his business via his signature which I agreed to. Although the site survives on advertising revenue generally if you have courtesy to ask I'm happy you use the site to plug your work. I would however suggest that as others have pointed out the manner in which you chose to start the thread was somewhat disingenuous.

Just when I thought we were getting back on track...o well

John":1tnh0m2r said:
There seems to be a collective brain fade when it comes to these Klein repaints at the moment.

Totally agree..even more so now Jons has been shut down and Martins seems to be copping it by those wishing to take it off track..I certianly did enjoy the explanation both visually and by word of the decals

I would however suggest that as others have pointed out the manner in which you chose to start the thread was somewhat disingenuous.

To be fair John it was clear within a few posts of the second page that martin had said you got me and from there it was no problem..to those who pointed this out as disengenous...if you look they were Jon fanboys..the rest of us were not fooled by martins humour and took no offence to it because it was visually informative in a way we had not seen before on rb and for those of us considering Klein paints..very helpfull

Martin did ask if he could advertise his business via his signature which I agreed to. Although the site survives on advertising revenue generally if you have courtesy to ask I'm happy you use the site to plug your work. .

I totally understand the site continues forward not only due to it's members but the advertising revenue. I am puzzled however and pardon my ignorance..given that both Jon and Martin had threads with walk throughs, pictures and explanations why only Martins has this mention of revenue?

Totally understand that if it becomes a free rolling advert for ANY advertiser why then ANY advertisers maybe asked ..hey reel it in a bit or the goodwill over cost will be reviewed..the key here is a visible equal playing field

I would again ask if the thread with it's usefull information and insight into these exspensive paints could continue again without the sidetracking although with one member given the same protection as apple with a u.s. jury I doubt it will. I hope I'm wrong and this thread will find a natural end rather than an opposition led end.

sylus":3gp40qjy said:
Just when I thought we were getting back on track...o well

Quite. Suggest we all concentrate on the Klein resprays and leave any agendas.

Well thats all been taken in then...

What does ' Jon fanboys ' supposed to mean? And 'one member given the same protection as apple with a u.s. jury'

Just because Ive not walked you through every little process that I do and spent 100's of pounds on promotion and have a Facebook page a twitter account you tube videos etc why does that make me any less of a valid painter?

I think that makes me more valid.
I dont need all that hype.
I just get on with it.

J

Think we need to draw a line under both threads. As such will lock this and invite both painters to setup new dedicated threads to showcase their work. Once again peace will prevail and all will be right in the World of retrobike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back