Klein Adroit with Strata

gibbon_rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is one of the last proper Kleins made before the Trek takeover in beautiful Burgundy blue. Over the past three years I have gradually built it up into a weight weenie wonder, but it has sat completed and unused for the past year as I’m petrified to damage the paint! This bike deserves to be ridden, so it’s time to find a new owner.

19755438696_66bb97b48d_b.jpg

19160703793_58fe888fd3_b.jpg

19781603325_ed5fa28628_b.jpg

It is currently set up for commuting and in its day to day outfit weighs in at just over 17lbs. With a better rear cassette and saddle, and some ti bolt pimping, this could easily get below 17.

However, to ensure it can still go offroad, I’ve not put anything flimsy on it. I'll include the slicks and Klein deathgrip tyres and so it’s ready for whatever you want to throw at it.

When I got it, there was a brake boss snapped off in the fork and the paint wasn’t in great shape. A trip to Jon Rock back in 2011 brought it back to life, and you can see it fresh out of the booth in the link below.

http://www.kleinspainted.com/--repaintr ... chive.html

This is not a new bike, but all chips and scuffs were professionally filled as can be seen in the attached photos. There’s been two chips to it since, the one by the spacers on the headtube and the chainring scrape on the chainstay when a spindle that was too short was used for one ride. I’ve taken photos of all the scratches, but feel free to ask for any additional close ups. There are no cracks to the frame anywhere - including the seatpost.

I hate to think of all the time and money I’ve spent on putting this together. I’m asking for £2750 which although a lot of money, I know I can get more money by breaking it and flogging it on ebay. However, I’d rather not do that as the fuselage deserves to stay together.

There's a bunch of pictures over on my flickr account, which are pretty big and can be zoomed in on. https://www.flickr.com/photos/39095367@ ... 5986667122.

All headset and bottom bracket bearings are new and so this rides like a new bike. The details of all the components are below.

Frame: L Burgundy Blue Adroit. It's a real adroit with 2” down tube and reinforced bottle bosses.

Fork: Strata with an uncut steerer tube – as evidenced by the number of spacers I’ve used!

Stem/Bar: Klein MC2

Grips: Klein

Bottom Bracket: Action-tec Ti spindle

Crank: Tune Bigfoot

Seat post: Tune Starkes Stuck - you'll note there's no seat bolt in, but that's only to ensure the post doesn't stick in the frame whilst not being used. Post moves freely.

Brakes: KCNC VB1’s.

Wheels: Handmade Kovachi wheels – said by many (including the sticker on them) to be the finest in the world. Mavic X517 SUP’s laced to silver Chris King Hubs with blue nipples. Plenty of life in the rims yet.

Inner tubes: Panaracer R-air inner tubes for the commuting weight weenie. Whatever I had in the parts bin for the Deathgrips.

Skewers: Control tech ti

Front mech: none. I ride 1*9, so there is a Paul Components chain keeper to keep the chain in place

Front chainring: Race Face 42T. Will throw in a 34 and 22t so that people can turn it into a 3*9 if they want.

Rear Cassette: XT M770

Rear Mech: XTR M950

Chain: KMC X9 SL

Shifter: Paul thumbie mount with Shimano shifter. If the purchaser is interested, I’ll include the thumbie mount and barcon for the front mech as well. Or I can switch the shifters for M950 STI pods if preferred.

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR-ti

Any questions, just let me know

I'm hoping not to split it. If no one has bitten within a couple of weeks, then I'll think about parting it out if there's interest in all the bits. But the fuselage will probably stay together unless the Strata's get a silly offer....

Re:

I have to confess that it isn't real grass....

Bump to the top and price drop to £3000 if that will spur anyone on.

If it makes a difference, I can switch the cantis to M950 if that will make people more interested...

And could also throw M950 shifter pods on it if people don't want my brand-new-retro Paul's thumbies.

Kev

Re:

I totally agree with Martin .
Seems to be a L (21") more than a XL , specially because only has one bottle mount in the down tube.
Cheers

Re:

Having consulted the bible, or at least the Klein '96 technical manual, it does look like it's a Large.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll update the original post.

Re:

In the near six months since I originally posted this, I still haven't ridden it, so January sale type bump and price dropped to £2,750...

Back