Kirk Precision

Precison frames are popular and seem to go for £50-100, but there's no set price on eBay and it does depend on their condition. You'll have to post a pic on here.

I mentioned the mech hanger issue to Frank Kirk last November, but he doesn't have any and he's going to see if he's still got the CAD files or drawings for them. There'll be a bike shop out there somewhere that has a box full of them, gathering dust!

ok coolio like I say has been resprayed and not well, but isn't in a terrible state, would rather steer clear of ebay though if I could

Attachments

• 2012-03-06 14.56.32.jpg
    2012-03-06 14.56.32.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,127
I bought six of the first batch of these frames when Frank set up down there in Essex...something .....Ferrers.

he had quite a few problems with flash fires due to the magnesium dust setting alight..and burning very quickly and brightly.

I almost bought a frame on Ebay about three weeks ago, but took my eye off the ball, so to speak. In any case the frame was damaged with due to a crack developing in the R/H chainstay..but I thought that I could have TIG-welded that together.

If the frame is still available and you still want to sell it, I could be interested..for my collection. What size is the frame, by the way..I think that they were about 21.5" and 23"..Came with Vitus 979 forks..

don't have anything other than the frame i'm afraid no forks, headset, seat clamp front deraileur, or rear hanger just yet.
it measures 23.25" c-t on the seat tube and 22" c-c toptube

any idea of how much if you were interested? or a value if not?

I think that Frank Kirk launched the frame in about 1984/85..I remember seeing it on his small stand at the Cologne Bike Show..surrounded by huge crowds..there was great interest in the off=beat design which, to my eyes always reminded me of a revised version of the Paris Galibier.

In the later 80s when Frank appeared to have got both his facory sorted out, and a financial backer, I took a full Kirk bike to France..as far as Annecy. Wherever I went with the bike on the roof-rack, it drew a great deal of attention..a real eyecatcher.

However in practice, on that holiday, the frame was a bit of a disaster in that both gear lever bosses dropped out of the frame ( no real problem as I Araldited them back in) but on a serious climb in the mountains, the threaded steel insert that formed the bracket shell shrunk or interference fit in the casting, came loose and slid from side to side...then the rear brake bridge detached itself...

However I still have a passion for the shape. Frank was always convinced that success was just around the corner..if only he could get the right backer and the money to sort out the teething problems. In the end I think that the Norwegian firm Norwest Hydro ( or something like that) one of the world's largest producers of magnesium from sea-water ( a cubic metre of sea-water should produce enough magnesium for the a frame) backed his venture..but eventually pulled out when the project proved too unreliable.

I once asked him why there were so many teething problems when he had already produced a number of fvery reliable frames for the Pro team that had riders such as Steve Poulter, Phil Anderson etc etc. His answer was quite surprising. So convinced was he that his project was feasible using magnesium that, in order to market the concept and radical design..all the first frames and those for the Pros were cast in aluminium, a metal that was not fraught with the same problems as magnesium.

All that glitters is not necessarily magnesium..

Back