Kirk Precision Spares

Ah, OK, I never noticed a sleeve on mine, just threaded.
Longing has it now...

Could turn down a 68mm long std alu or steel BB shell to diameter and bond or press in.

All the best,

Re:

Cheers, any ideas on frame numbers and dates?

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_190250.jpg
    IMG_20200130_190250.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20200130_190243.jpg
    IMG_20200130_190243.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 293
There is a problem with magnesium interacting with steel leading to corrosion. That is why you may find aluminium sleeves about a Kirk in order to isolate steel components from the frame.
They are lovely bikes. I have a Precision which I bought in pretty much original condition. It is the base model in the catalogue with steel fork, Suntour derailleurs, Stronglight chain set and Shimano brakes. When I stripped it down, the frame, without forks, just looked like a work of art. You could have hung it on the wall with no problem and told your friends it was avant-garde art.
Not surprisingly with the amount of metal and bracing, they are really stiff and ride like on rails. Not the lightest but quite comfortable. They are not solid but hollow inside. An early use of CAD design by Kirk who worked in aerospace and at Ford. Why Magnesium ? An engineer friend of mine, also from Ford, told me it was probably because it is the lightest metal you can cast.

After lots of searching I eventually found one :D

I still remember clearly looking through a copy of Cycling Weekly whilst in a maths lesson at school back in 1988 and deciding there and then that i had to have one.

A massive thanks to danson67 for posting up the Cad Files for the Mech Hanger - had one 3d printed within a day of picking up the frame :) I just need to find a bottom bracket sleeve now, or i might just use a threadless BB like the mavic, which would go perfectly with the mavic starfish crank & groupset I have. Although i'm loving the new Di2 build pictured.

I've never seen a red/white one other than on the Tomorrows World clip, does anyone know if this was a factory colour or shall i go for a plain pearl white respray ?

Cheers
The only one painted like that the ones in the kellogg tour of briton there was three and i painted them

Back