Kinesis Virtue, waffley versatile,,, what forks...?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My long overdue query. In my fleet I have another DMR frame, ok it's not really DMR Switchback, a Kinesis Decade Virtue. I loved the ride when our local good lad owned it so bought it and made a point of selling my Genesis IO recently.

What to do with it? Well hmm...? I have SS dropouts somewhere in my hoard and I also have some DMR OW light jump rigid forks, that was the plan then I can make it comparable to the Genesis and other similar bikes. With that option I could either go for a fat tyre or play games with a 650b wheel and tyres...?
It does deserve suspension though really, arguably. I don't really have anything suitable and all my other bikes silly overbuilt and now I have a busted shoulder any gnarly riding is unlikely... Still I only have one non matching silver D521 XT QR wheel, and all my others are 20mm
I have offer of the 2009ish Marzocchi 44 air TST2 140mm QR that were originally on it when our chap rode it, they have since been on another mates bike and probo need a service and are QR only, have a slightly short steerer by my reckoning. Not sure. Fancy some honest old u turn Pikes, or bargain super tidy 20mm 120mm Rebas. Or a new bargain...?

Eventually after SS I will move to try gears. Build kit is fairly light ish but tough trail, with 70mm Thomson stem. It would be nice to build a lighter bike for a change.

Sorry for the essay, what to choose retro bikers? Forks wheel tyre? Too many options haha.

Re:

Been online about a week trying to find decent cheap 29er forks, options now for 26 New are amazing. Should be able fo get something really tasty New or as New pretty cheap (comparatively).

I love these frames so I would use thomson stem you mention and stick good forks on. Pikes if you have them else bolt through or maxle rebas. Think merlin were selling them for 200 with another 10% off (and 2-3% via topcashback).

Single speed or 1/2 x 9.

Get it built!

That's the one pictured above. Thanks. The 44's are sold now which is probably best given its been a sticky month financially that's best. Merlin reba you say?! Ooh. All else fails its the DMR OW forks and a 2.4 tyre!

Back