Kawasaki - the first 5k are the hardest...

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Firstly, HNY to all you good spirited retrobikers, home and abroad!

Coincidentally, this is my 5,000th Retrobike post, so time for some brief self indulgence and reflection... Joined up on 26th April 2006 and have contributed 0.37% of the total posts with an average of 2.41 per day - statistics I find hard to believe as I wouldn't consider myself prolific.

My first retro bike was a NOS Ibis Alibi frame which cost £95; a Fat Chance Buck Shaver soon followed at considerably more expense and became my first import. I revisited XC racing at Newnham in the August of that year after a gap of at least 6 years and then an FSR arrived before the first of my e-stays - a £84 Nishiki Alien - which I took to my first Retrobike meet at Cannock, way back on November 4th, 2006.

Since then I've had to face up to the fact that I have a 'collection', having continued to buy way more than I sell - fortunately no particular allegiance to any brand has freed me to wander across boundaries and the resulting hoard is still hopefully a snapshot of any UK XC paddock circa 89-97. Yes, there's the inexplicable weakness for the elevated stay design which rumbles on - to date I've had no failures, so I expect that fondness to continue.

Personal highlights have been a trip to Fairfax and riding the Repack with Fairfax Pat; all the meets and Mountain Mayhems from 2007 to last year; meeting great people and extending my social network with people like Ed Edwards, Max and Melvin; putting something back into retrobiking by doing a stint of moderating, making the folly that is OWMTBC happen (seeing Tim Davies' enjoyment on both a Raleigh shopper and his Alpinestars Ti belting around the Marin Trail was a sublime retro experience!) and helping JV formalise the beginnings of the riding network that Mark and Paul have now well established.

The legacy of this niche venture from its small beginnings remains for all to see, access and contribute to - the breadth of knowledge shared freely by most members remains a delight in this cynical age and continues to educate me. To those who continue in that vein - heartfelt thanks!

Neil

Attachments

• 5000.jpg
    5000.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,024
<tipping a respectful nod>

good work Neil...'always a pleasure never a pain'

look forward to seeing you,............. well this year

heading full speed to 1k....

joined 20 days before you neil
heading for 10 fasand posts

SLACKER :LOL:

It has always been a pleasure to meet and ride with you , and family , and long it may continue . :D

Obviously a very auspicious time in the early days of Retrobike. What took you so long.

Long may you continue sir, a massive bonus to the site and well deserved thanks from all of us :)

here here a toast to the man with a plan congrats mr k. I hope your intellectual input continues to enhance the site as it already had done for the last 5 years, cheers neil,
Lee.

Back