Just Ridin’ Along…

Corduroyboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Went out for a quick spin this evening.
Lights - check. Hi-viz - check. Longs, winter jacket, snood (thanks @raidan73 ) - check.
Get to the bottom of a slight hill and stand on the pedals to power up to the top. A few turns and it feels suddenly like my left foot has slipped off the pedal. Try to re-engage but can’t. Look down to find there is no pedal:

Attachments

• 786A3180-75A3-4764-84C1-2F7734338BFB.jpeg
    786A3180-75A3-4764-84C1-2F7734338BFB.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 2278DD1D-8782-4595-B782-B287D56BF188.jpeg
    2278DD1D-8782-4595-B782-B287D56BF188.jpeg
    760.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Went out for a quick spin this evening.
Lights - check. Hi-viz - check. Longs, winter jacket, snood (thanks @raidan) - check.
Get to the bottom of a slight hill and stand on the pedals to power up to the top. A few turns and it feels suddenly like my left foot has slipped off the pedal. Try to re-engage but can’t. Look down to find there is no pedal:

Too strong 💪

Going to check mine now for cracks

good to know that my Syncros anni cranks are sitting in the vitrine ;)

lucky you that this does not happen while riding and pedalling hard.

I find that just about every Syncros component fails quite dramatically. The Cattlehead is particularly prone to that, wasn't sure of cranks, as I've never had any Syncros ones. I don't really consider old Syncros proper ride worthy anymore, great for show bikes but I'd pick a retro Shimano/Sugino crank over Syncros anytime

Glad you didn’t get hurt, not nice.

I had that happen to me about 15 years ago riding an old road bike in east London, was crossing Dalston junction and SNAP! Lost control and skidded along the tarmac on my hip, narrowly missed by a car. The cranks were Ofmega, and a friend had the same thing happen with the same brand. I guess they were 30 year old aluminium but even so.

Edit: I still ride retro Suntour and Shimano cranks on my daily commuter and other bikes, no probs yet, touch wood - eek!

Last edited:
Back