Just finished: 1996 Manitou HT

syncrosfan

Senior Retro Guru
Just finished this one last weekend for a friend of mine.
Thought I'll post a couple of pics.
Frame: 1996 Manitou HT 17" (crack-free)
Wheels: Cane Creek Crono (definitely newer than '96 but they fit the look of the bike)
Tires: Michelin Wildgripper S
Fork: Manitou 4 (new elastomers). The bike came originally with a Manitou Mach5 fork but I deemed it too ugly to fit the build (even though it's a better fork technically speaking, much stiffer, has a proper oil damper, can be easily converted to coil instead of elastomer)
Headset: Chris King No logo 1 1/4 threaded
Stem: Manitou 1 1/8 with quill stem converter (this setup right here adds a bunch of extra weight but I couldn't find a 1 1/4 Manitou crown with alloy steerer to go threadless and I wanted to use a Manitou stem instead of an Answer Atac)
Handlebars: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: blue Answer Logo grips
STI unit: XTR M910
Cables: XTR grey shifter and brake cables
Seat-post: original Ringle Manitou 31.8 seatpost
Seat: Serfas Kevlar with Ti rails
Brakes: XTR M900 cantis with Onza chill pills
Front Shifter: XTR M910 (clamp-on style)
Rear Shifter: XTR M910 (aftermarket pulleys and hardware)
Cassette: XT 11-28 NOS
Chain: Shimano HG chain
Cranks: AC cnc crankset with NOS Cannondale Magic Motorcycle rings
Bottom bracket: Ultimate Machine cups (NOS) with a 129mm Ti spindle (of unknown manufacturer)
Pedals: Odyssey comp (nothing special about those)
Bottle cage: Ringle
Various Ultimate Machine bolts and seat clamp in Ti and Aluminum
Weight: 23.6 lbs (was kind of surprised about this, expected it to be lighter given the fact that the frame itself is fairly light. I guess with lighter Wheels and Ti-spindle pedals and a threadless alloy steerer setup this bike could be pushing 22 lbs).
Assorted musings after a test ride in the alley (the frame is much too small for me but fits my buddy just right). I was surprised how powerful the XTR cantis are (more of a V-brake guy myself, the setup was a pain in the ass but once setup properly those brakes are as powerful as an Average V-brake). The un-ramped Magic Motorcycle rings (whilst being light and looking cool) shift like crap and the whole drive-train is NOS (a shimano XTR crank with rings would have been far better as far as function goes but my buddy wanted the trick CNC parts, besides he's not going to put a lot of miles on this bike anyway).

Attachments

• IMG_0400b.jpg
    IMG_0400b.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_0399b.jpg
    IMG_0399b.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_0386b.jpg
    IMG_0386b.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_0383b.jpg
    IMG_0383b.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 1,249
  • IMG_0390b.jpg
    IMG_0390b.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 1,250
Perfect use of blue ano on this bike, great job! Funny how everyone wants a 'trick' setup, but you just can't beat a simple Shimano setup for worry free function!

Thanks!
I have used trick setups successfully on past builds though: Sweet Wings crank-set with Moonhead Machine triple rings 9 speed setup with XTR derailleurs. Shifts better than anything I have ever tried (the rings are super trick in the machining with all kinds of shift ramps, very expensive though). but for general use it's hard to beat Shimao drive trains.

Thanks a lot for the kind words!
I do have a '94 FS in the pipeline for the next build. That one will be my personal ride so no expenses will be spared on that one (more period correct as well with the wheels and full M900 everything, will try to get it as light as possible).
Manitou did make some of the most beautiful bikes of the 90's.

Looks very smart. You had better luck on the cranks and saddle than I've had. Still looking.

Back