Jack Taylor Vintage Bicycle

OliverJames

Senior Retro Guru
Jack Taylor Vintage Bicycle On Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255698981549?

s-l500.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Rather ignorant question - if this bike was dragged through a bush and all the stickers came off (assuming they are original) - would it ride any better than, say, a £100 Bob Jackson?

Also, is that seat post inserted back to front? 🤔 Even it it ain't , with zero offset and a short-railed brooksie it will give you almost a triathlon riding position.

You could say that just about any frame what makes an SBDU frame any better or a Colnago, what you are buying is the wealth of frame building experience that Jack Taylor has, all those box stripes are done by hand and how much would that paint job alone cost these days. You are not just buying a bike you are buying a piece of cycling art and history. As for the ride only you could tell, will my Roberts ride better than my Orbit who knows but it is far better finished...

Looks with the bars turned bak like they are he was trying to get a more upright riding position with out spending out.

Ah well, when you put it that way, it's a miracle that nobody has hit the Buy it Now button yet.

Paint is heavily chipped, touched up and there seems to be some rust in places. If buying for the history, that's a £300 repaint job 🤔
Brooksie's a joke and will need to be replaced.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand people who do a real restoration job and try to sell the bikes at a chunky premium to pay for their time & restoration costs. I don't quite understand people buying [and not really riding] those bikes, but hey, we all have our fetishes, whatever floats their boat.

What really grinds my gears are the ebay hogs trying to shift unrestored, often poor condition stuff at 2x-4x-6x-10x premiums...

Last edited:
Personally think it’s a stunner, I love the box lining on these. I had the pleasure of looking at several in @Peachy! thread on his Jack Taylor tandem. It’s one of those less well known if you know you know type makers. You are paying for it almost as a historical artefact, the type of bike where the patina is part of the deal. That Brooks - it’s almost worn in!

Double butted “Super Clubman” is a real nice JT, however it is probably a little over priced, especially as it doesn’t have its original bars and crankset (or anything anywhere near period correct)
There are quite a few survivors over in the states where JT’s sold well, I think the American tendency to over price stuff might be having an effect when sellers search on eBay for previously sold price comparisons.
No matter, the sellers unlikely to make that price with a “collection only” listing

Ah well, when you put it that way, it's a miracle that nobody has hit the Buy it Now button yet.

Paint is heavily chipped, touched up and there seems to be some rust in places. If buying for the history, that's a £300 repaint job 🤔
Brooksie's a joke and will need to be replaced.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand people who do a real restoration job and try to sell the bikes at a chunky premium to pay for their time & restoration costs. I don't quite understand people buying [and not really riding] those bikes, but hey, we all have our fetishes, whatever floats their boat.

What really grinds my gears are the ebay hogs trying to shift unrestored, often poor condition stuff at 2x-4x-6x-10x premiums...
I appreciate what you are saying here and we know there are many shysters on Ebay. To me this looks like someone maybe a daughter selling her fathers bike collection, Father may be too old to ride but has told her prices to put down for things. To him 1400 quid probably seems cheap.

Back