Its official: I'm a geek

legrandefromage":2ucl6kc4 said:
Easy_Rider":2ucl6kc4 said:
Don't radios have RDS anymore :shock:
Is mine RDS then, when it displays the station name and then scrolls though what is playing or the current show, i thought all modern ish radios have this :?

All modern car radios have RDS or should have. I've never seen one yet that displays what track is playing, I've only seen DAB recievers do that.

Out in the sticks we only get R1,2,3,4, local BBC, Classic and turgid 'Heart' FM, non of these broadcast track info.

Ah, well maybe it doesn't display track name, probably those "sessions" or whatever they are, don't pay much attention TBH.

Just didn't understand why you had the last radio text capable head unit? Still confused, maybe i'm just being thick or it's probably the glorious sunshine today playing with my brain :?

Easy_Rider":1vil1xin said:
legrandefromage":1vil1xin said:
Easy_Rider":1vil1xin said:
Don't radios have RDS anymore :shock:
Is mine RDS then, when it displays the station name and then scrolls though what is playing or the current show, i thought all modern ish radios have this :?

All modern car radios have RDS or should have. I've never seen one yet that displays what track is playing, I've only seen DAB recievers do that.

Out in the sticks we only get R1,2,3,4, local BBC, Classic and turgid 'Heart' FM, non of these broadcast track info.

Ah, well maybe it doesn't display track name, probably those "sessions" or whatever they are, don't pay much attention TBH.

Just didn't understand why you had the last radio text capable head unit? Still confused, maybe i'm just being thick or it's probably the glorious sunshine today playing with my brain :?

I've not seen a specific 'text' button on any FM radio expect mine. But I dont get out much either...

legrandefromage":2d5krc7e said:

Radio 1 used to broadcast song info on the Chart show via RDS. Just set the RadioText to "Now Playing: X", and had some student feverishly typing the songs in. :LOL: It worked really well but what is the point of it on the Chart show? Rubbish music and you already know what the songs are!

Over here RDS isn't used by many stations, but those that do just use RadioText as another way of pumping out adverts. :roll:

legrandefromage":2d5krc7e said:
I've not seen a specific 'text' button on any FM radio expect mine. But I dont get out much either...

First time I've seen it on a car radio. Like having it on my home tuner though.

Geoff":3nwkbnko said:
Over here RDS isn't used by many stations, but those that do just use RadioText as another way of pumping out adverts. :roll:

I lied! Last week they finally started broadcasting digital radio (DAB+ though, not DAB) and it looks like Nova have started tracklisting, and inadvertantly advertised that RDS can do it too...

Would post scrolling video but I dunno how to post video...

If you'd told me when i was a teenager that at my age i would be sat at a computer discussing the text button on a head unit i would have laughed my head off thinking you were mad, there's no way i'd do that, i'm too cool :cool:

:roll: :LOL:

Back