It's another Klein debate...!

Archangel":2t3rk4b3 said:
This ad also tells the name of the game very well:
adroit_96_ad.jpg

Scary setup... :roll:

elPedro666":288m698t said:
And did it live up to the ad...?

Yes she did, but after a few months of borrowing my dads bike (1987 Diamond back ascent, with front and rear panniers!!) any bike would of felt great. I paid £900 for my first Attitude frame number A2A2?? (that what is said) full XT groupo, less wheels which i sourced a pair of ringle hub+mavic 231 for another £200, but this was stolen 18 months later.
In 1993 new Attitude gator linear fade frame retailed for about £1500 and with a custom build mine came in at £2461 on the 3rd feb 93 (still have receipt from Steve Mead at Climbhigh cycles in Daventry :oops: ) I could of saved £800 on importing the same spec bike from the states, but lots of people were doing the same thing (crazy exchange rates) so Klein stuck a gold badge on the front to prove it was an offical uk imported bike, without this i was warned that there would be no warranty.
What did £2500 get me?? xt mechs and thumbshifters, Syncros ti post, action-tec ti bb, cooks rsr's with xtr m900 brakes and chain rings, ringle hubs, dt spokes, M231 rims and xlite bar ends, i did try to attact a photo but the file is to big, i'll put a couple of photos in my gallery instead. The bike has been going through a rebuild for the last 18 months and i'm only searching for a couple more items before i can ride her again (its been six years) :D :D :D :D .

AndyB

CrabadonAB":3h9iykpk said:
The bike has been going through a rebuild for the last 18 months and i'm only searching for a couple more items before i can ride her again (its been six years) :D :D :D :D .

AndyB

That'll be a special day! Sounds like you built the bike I was drawing pictures of and writing spec lists for instead of concentrating in school! :roll: :LOL:

i'm a younger member here. i dont "get" kleins, and to a lesser extent, fats

i think they are very much something of the 1989-1993 brigade

cce":1sy8ky4t said:
i'm a younger member here. i dont "get" kleins, and to a lesser extent, fats

i think they are very much something of the 1989-1993 brigade

I own Kleins and Fats and have to admit to being in the 89-09 brigade :cool:

Got to love a Klein debate. I've got a lust / hate thing going on with them: like a dog with catnip.

The fat, smooth tubes and those forks are so gross and so compelling [ever been strangely attracted to a mannekin?] :shock:

Have to say, I don't remember the ads. I do remember some downhill racing shots in the early 90s. And if people could win races on them, they must have been good for something.

Re the cracked tube thing, is there something about thin aluminium that weakens with age?

BITD never considered the fatigue/cracking issue of Alu..Kleins just looked so nice and were even more special if dripping with Campag components. I just wanted one, badly.

I think now I'd still like one for the cosmetics but wouldn't really feel 100% comfortable giving it some stick...I have seen how easily they fail/dent.

doctor-bond":60pun5et said:
Re the cracked tube thing, is there something about thin aluminium that weakens with age?

aluminium "work hardens" so the more it is used the more brittle it becomes.

Back