"Isn't modern bicycle technology absolutely wonderful?"šŸ˜

Arenā€™t clutched rear mechs fab. I think so.
Absolutely. Quiet, less chain slap (and wear on components), better shifting on rough terrain and when combined with a narrow/wide ring most riders can get away without any form of chain device. I remember using some of the proto SRAM X01 11spd stuff with it and it felt like witchcraft, and even testing it over here in the Scottish slop and slime I found it to be utterly reliable (the SRAM chainring is definitely the most effective). The only downside is that on high chain growth bikes the clutch mechs definitely hamper suspension performance.

Isn't modern bike technology wonderful? yes, it largely is. A short list:

Post 2015 geometry
narrow wide chainrings
clutch rear mechs
tyres
hydraulic disc brakes
dropper post
External BB/cranks
lock-on grips
Lower gears
1x
Bolt thru axles
This really except Iā€™d add modern forks/shocks and possibly remove 1x as although Iā€™m used to it, Iā€™d be just as happy with 2x, or even 3.

Bikes being much heavier but also much easier to ride uphill, off road is witchcraft too.

It's modern geometry that tempts me to get a brand new MTB. External BB, thru axles, tapered head tube... I'm not really that bothered and they're not going to make much difference on the pretty tame local riding. But that upright posture looks more and more appealing with each advancing year.

It's modern geometry that tempts me to get a brand new MTB. External BB, thru axles, tapered head tube... I'm not really that bothered and they're not going to make much difference on the pretty tame local riding. But that upright posture looks more and more appealing with each advancing year.
Agreed, the geometry is interesting, but I wish I could go without the boost and the silly overdone bearings, and perhaps some v brakes.

Back