"Isn't modern bicycle technology absolutely wonderful?"šŸ˜

synchronicity

Senior Retro Guru
how about a thread where everybody can talk about all the truly marvelous new tech.

Right here.

So you censored me again. Because I pointed out that the other thread had been locked.
And we can't have that can we? Disagreement? Nobody was name-calling. It was civilised.

Part of the reason the bike industry is in the state it's in is because of all the planned obsolescence.
If I don't resonate with a lot of modern equipment, I'm hardly going to want to visit my local bike store am I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydraulic discs are better than mechanical discs
Which are (sometimes) better than vbrakes
Which are better than cantis
... better than calipers
In turn Better than rod brakes
...Better than spoon brakes
...better than no brakes at all.
This relationship is in date order.
šŸ¤” I wonder why?

The only downgrade which has happened with bike tech is push fit BBā€™s becoming more common.

Everything else is works better.

Whether itā€™s as pretty , nostalgic or pleasing to the eye is all up for debate. But as a bike which is meant to be ridden you canā€™t beat it.

A lot of newer stuff though wears out faster, and can be awkward to repair or source parts for.
This was intertwined with the consumerism in the cycle industry.

Hydraulic discs are better than mechanical discs
Which are (sometimes) better than vbrakes
Which are better than cantis
... better than calipers
In turn Better than rod brakes
...Better than spoon brakes
...better than no brakes at all.
This relationship is in date order.
šŸ¤” I wonder why?

I think some things reach a hill, an optimum point if you will, then further progress is seen as going backward.
I'm sure retro car enthusiasts feel this way about manual cars.

You're making the assumption that newer is always "better".šŸ˜

In any case, I don't care as much as it might appear. I'm spending just as much as I always have on bikes.
But I have changed my spending habits. Buying more new old stock now. That's more or less what I was trying to get at in the other thread about the state of the industry.

Isn't it similar with the computer industry? Not as many desktops sold nowadays because they last longer, speed/memory improvements aren't as noticeable.

EDIT:
The only two 'new' things I seem to be buying these days are mtb disc brakes and shocks. šŸ¤”
I got a "new" suspension fork too recently, RockShox REBA, but it's not a current model.
The one with the straight steerer. I was quite surprised by how plush it was (after I had tweaked it a bit).

Handlebars maybe. The odd saddle here or there.

Last edited:
I love my Brooks, saddle is riders choice. You can't realistically argue saddle choice.

I have no problem with new tech, I just don't need it. I came to the conclusion I dislike discs after having three bikes with them on. The last was a Crux with 11 speed with 105 hydraulic.

Why do people get so worked up about a hobby? If you ride, great.

I love indexed gears, sti's, aero brake cables, dual pivots, cartridge b/b, headsets with proper sealed ball/angular contact races, Ahead is just better but doesn't look as pretty as a quill. I don't like press fit b/b or grip shift.

It's just personal opinion and the difference of choice and opinion keeps it interesting and vibrant. Some modern bike stuff enters into the realm of diminishing returns for me, like really high end HI-FI and audio foolery. I'm not going to hear or feel the difference, so I tend to bypass it.

But!!

If you want it go for it, aspire and enjoy and I'll happily listen to your review/opinion about it, whether I agree or not. It's a big wide world out there and we need informing and our eyes wide open, not head down and blinkered.

Back