is this what yeti have become???

rosstheboss":30ag0npg said:
I'd hazard a guess to say that bike could handle a whole lot more abuse than it's predecessor, have more travel on the forks than a whole full suspension bike bitd, and not have any bits fall off...

Dirt jumping is one of the most progressive forms of mountain biking and the bikes move forward accordingly - is anyone making the same bikes they did in 1991, with exactly the same tubeset and geometry? I can't think of any

So what is Dirt Jumping then afaik it's big BMXing, I guess MX without an engine. i.e. a track with large jumps placed in it for these bikes and to have some big grins or grazes. I wouldn't call it mountain biking, they might use Mountain Bike inspired bike setups.

Unless you are talking about jumping of the side of rock faces but I would have thought that was something different
But it's not your general sort of riding by the majority I would have thought ? Educate me, I'm completely Modern bike ignorant (well not quite, but anything outside the norm I am, even DH which I do understand) and what the 30+ crowd ride and think is fun nowadays.

FMJ, ah DJ it twigs now, I was thinking music and street dancing sort of thing :LOL:

No I wouldn't expect them to sell and design bikes around old technology, I cannot see why most people (anywhere near me) would need the longer travel for a lot of what I see them riding but then the manufacturers don't make the shorter stuff for them to fit.
I don't live in big rocky hilly areas with mountains, though I did use to ride down the sides of Quarries I dare say these would be a lot safer then my old bikes with MAG/rigids on.
to be fair if they did build around short travel, put a spin on it, they would no doubt sell. People buy what is for sale and are told is good/cool and put up with it :LOL:

Anyway, still don't like the look of the Yeti, but some of the other YETI's look lush.

There are a lot of parallels between dj and bmx, but they are still 2 very different disciplines, bmx bikes haven't greatly changed over the years but dj bikes have spawned an entire industry (think dmr etc.) starting with people dropping their saddles and putting longer travel forks on their hardtails to bikes like the yeti which are built for purpose, and in turn have become increasingly less like 'proper' mountain bikes.

You may say there is no need for long travel forks etc, but it depends how big you build the jumps or how fast you hit them! With dirtjumping there's also a big element of going to the woods and building your own jumps with mates, having them get trashed and rebuilding them, rather than putting 100's of miles in on a 20lb xc whippet or endlessly pushing up hills for 30 secs of fun on a 40lb dh rig, so I'd say it is a part of mountain biking as, well, where else could it be pigeonholed? They are (normally) 26" wheel bikes with a few gears that are designed to be ridden off road.

p.s. does all modern music sound the same to you?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Modern music, well it's all Xfactor trash isn't it ;)

The fork comment was to the general rider not the DJers, why not lump them under Crosser* bikes ?
BMX/4X/DJ (4x seen that on TV, I'm progressive see)

*I guess then people older than me say 35+ might start asking why they are related to the toptube.

FluffyChicken":8kkvrgoo said:
Modern music, well it's all Xfactor trash isn't it ;).

Tosin Abasi was on X Factor??????

You're turning over the wrong rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc

800px-Animals_as_Leaders3.jpg

This will be like Klein pre and post trek

They commanded high silly money because of the build and uniqueness

That new one to be honest ... You could put any sticker kit on it ..you wouldn't be suprised for it to have a raleigh sticker on it and see it for sale in halfords

When unique stops being unique then it stops being sought after

own goal yeti

rosstheboss":18jb0sf5 said:
There are a lot of parallels between dj and bmx, but they are still 2 very different disciplines, bmx bikes haven't greatly changed over the years but dj bikes have spawned an entire industry (think dmr etc.) starting with people dropping their saddles and putting longer travel forks on their hardtails to bikes like the yeti which are built for purpose, and in turn have become increasingly less like 'proper' mountain bikes.

You may say there is no need for long travel forks etc, but it depends how big you build the jumps or how fast you hit them! With dirtjumping there's also a big element of going to the woods and building your own jumps with mates, having them get trashed and rebuilding them, rather than putting 100's of miles in on a 20lb xc whippet or endlessly pushing up hills for 30 secs of fun on a 40lb dh rig, so I'd say it is a part of mountain biking as, well, where else could it be pigeonholed? They are (normally) 26" wheel bikes with a few gears that are designed to be ridden off road.

p.s. does all modern music sound the same to you?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No need for any suspension..you just have to build trails smooth!

If you look at some of the stuff a lot of BMX riders are riding over on the East coast of the states the proof is there!

Yeti not my cuppa but they (like a loto of companies) have obviously just seen another popular market to make money from.

Back