Is there such a thing as a cool folder?

Birdy.
Suspension at both ends. Standard, modern parts, including cassettes and V-brakes etc. Handles well. A slight faff to fold. Not quite as small when folded as a Brompton. An urban hooligan machine. Not cheap.

Bromptons require a lot of modifying (Brompton optional extras $$$) if you're tall. Combined with the small wheels, the limited gearing becomes a pain. Lots of energy-sapping flex everywhere. Many non-standard components. Non-functioning brakes. Awful cornering. Terrifying in the wet. No options to upgrade to Vs or better gearing.

But fantastic folding mechanism. And the best luggage system anywhere - Period.

I ride a Brompton when I have to take the train. They ride better than any of the other folders I tried before parting with my cash. There's no doubt about it you look like an utter prat on the things but there's something about them that stops you caring. They are really good fun to ride. The small wheels makes them feel a bit twitchy for the first 20 yards but after that they're fine. Give one a go, you'll not regret it. They've also been in production for 20 years so a retro design in my book.

cce":qsqyyq7y said:
giant did one........called the "halfway"

They still do it. I've ridden one and it is the closest thing to a non-folding bike in terms of ride quality imo. At just over 20lb in weight it's not too heavy either.

As for Bromptons I don't see the point. Not only do they have 16" wheels they are far more expensive than an equivalent spec of another make. The Giant has 20" wheels, so it will be slightly bigger when folded, but you have a far wider choice of tyres that are more easily available. The Giant also has an aluminium frame whereas the Brompton is made of steel (unless you want to spend a lot more) so weight-wise they are about the same. You also don't have the annoying folding mechanism that the Bromptons have (if you lift the bike up the back swings down, which is annoying when you have to lift them up a curb or something). Add to that the fact that the Giant has cartridge bearing hubs then the Giant is the better bike imo.

A Brompton would be heavier if the frames were made from Alu.....

They do have high Zoot versions available as well.

Not many bikes keep their value as well either

Andy

(Puts on Crocodile Dundee voice)
"Call that retro? Nah, this is retro..."
But what a brilliant design! How many current bikes weigh 15lbs?

There's lots of interesting designs, but they all look rubbish. I like Moultons myself - the idea that one set the speed record for an upright bike really amuses me - but I think if you're going to have one, you just need to accept that kids will laugh at you, and get on with it. I think if you need a folder, the Brompton is the best thing going.[/url]

Crell":f1vdg9y7 said:
Bike Friday or Airnimal?...tough neither look particularly good.

Both are good bikes i meet a couple of people who have toured and raced on the Airnimal, I meet a guy who was cycaling accross the US on Bike Friday. might just be as close to a real bike in terms of performance.

Back