Is retro a disease?

Funny discussion this....

I remember when I built up my Dave Yates in the mid 90s, that one of the criteria was that is should still be a desirable bike when my kids grew up. So I guess I was thinking retro ahead of time. And I always knew that the Pace frame was a future classic (very limited runs, oddball design, british-made - just like Bates, Hetchins et al which make Pace prices look discount).

I was aware at the time of nostalgia for 50s/60s road stuff (Airlite, Mafac etc etc....) and chose parts that I thought would stand the test of time and resisted all temptation to sell it, even when times were hard. Some parts got taken off the bike (Pace R30s, Record or cantilevers for exampe) but I still have them all.

I do confess though, that it has taken me by surprise that there is interest out there already for this stuff. I thought there would be another 10 years at least. (My kids are only 8 and 9!)

And that Dynatechs have a cult following..... I would never have foreseen that. I bought my MT3 for £100 nos when I needed a cheap hack to use in the winter.....

I feel that the retro way of thinking is ( don't laugh ) eastern and zen-based. We think in subjective ( un-measurable, emotive ) terms with old gear. New stuff is invariably treated in objective terms ( fastest, lightest, newest ).
Retro grouches sit back and think " What's the nicest? "

Would have thought that virus is more apt.

Enters the host without his knowledge, infects at a cellular level changing the host often beyond recognition or repair, utilises the hosts resources to replicate and multiple until all resources are exhausted then finds new host to infect!

Not sure but when it came to getting my camper knew it had to be a 90s one :) and my DeKerf looks very nice on the back of it :LOL:

a1ins2-1.jpg

Slam that wedge!

For goodness sake it clears the curb.

Wheels look nice. My notch is in for major surgery. New gearbox, service, welding, new carpets ..... And an airide system, oh happy days. May post a pic or two if i ever sort this bloody computer out.

Much Respect, Al,skint but happy, Cornwall

Back