Is it normal for forks to leak oil upon pumping up?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
After a while unridden my suspension forks (FRM Airway) had to be pumped up - but after pumping they’re leaking oil out of the top seals- is this normal ? Or have I a problem? 39AF098A-2728-47E2-BD71-6EB10A28D850.jpeg

Attachments

• 05B275AE-B91D-4047-ADBC-ABA39F0E2BE7.jpeg
    05B275AE-B91D-4047-ADBC-ABA39F0E2BE7.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 8
Is hard to tell from the picture. My forks keep their pressure for years if unused.

The rubber seal should glide on the metal stanchion on a layer of oil. Should be airtight and not leak air or oil.

Is stanchion smooth or worn? If stanchion surface is anything but perfect then it will leak.

Perhaps disassemble lower and make sure the seals aren’t holding debris. Forks that are used need frequent oil changes to keep everything clean. If that isn’t done the grit will have the fork eating itself.

At least for fox forks there’s a sponge under the seal that holds oil. Is good to store the forks upside down so the seal is kept wet with oil.

Thanks man -
I’ve had the bike a couple years and it’s been ridden well and then stored for a good 9 months - since I’ve had it I’ve never done anything to the forks and haven’t pumped them up before.
stanchion surface looks good
I just checked and sat on the bike - They seem to be holding air now after I pumped them up yesterday. I think I’d better go for a spin and see if there’s any issues.
There was no oil leakage before - it only leaked when I pumped them up yesterday - and seemingly oil came up out of the top part as shown

Back