is it me or are these wayyyyyyyyy over priced

The History Man":2mk610gi said:
This is recreation. I don’t see the point of buying ‘done’ bikes unless they are very special.

This. 100% this.

The absolute last thing I would do would be to buy a vintage bike in complete form and then not try to restore/improve it... The mere concept of then not riding it gives me a headache.

Re:

Isn't it simply the fact that more people will want a specific part (especially a decent one) than a bike e.g far more people want M900 rear mech than want a Kona or any other brand on it's own. Wider market = higher prices.

Another example would be my 1989 Saracen Tufftrax. Probably worth around £50 as a full bike as not many people want them (and would not even bother looking at the for sale add) yet the mint Deore thumbies and Mountain LX mechs would sell for that. Add in the amber walled tyres and those four parts would sell easily for more than the complete bike that included the parts. It's not for sale btw so no stealth ad! :LOL:

So there we are then...its unanimous "way over priced"

A perverse example would be an Airfix kit, buy the kit plus all the paint - complete it to the very highest Standard

End result its no longer as attractive as the boxed un assembled version and worth a lot less

As THM points out it's recreation

Back