Is fitting discs always a complete nightmare?

Good to hear you are an engineer. I was brought up having to fix anything I broke. Thanks to that I learned dry stone as well as welding very young.

From many years tampering with motor bikes I have always found bicycle mechanicals extremely simple, but I find it annoying the amount of different approached to the same problems destined to make things less intuitive on occasion.

elPedro666":1upzdu7q said:
I know why - it's because of the inevitable moment when that poxy little Shimano tool slips and you take all the skin off your knuckles. Again.
Take about 0.5mm, maybe less of the outer edge of each pin and it drops into the top hat even further.
I think the tool was probably designed when chainring bolts weren't recessed.........

A2Z do a mounting plate for the Manitou funny spacing. I have one as my SXe's needed it. only problem being you have to run a pretty big disc up front.

Discs are ace...even better now post mount is taking over. I used to get really cheesed off with my old Hopes and the silly little washers.

Yep, those washer on IS mounts were an arse, also perfect for threading the calipers as you take the bolts off loads of times to get the spacing right! Discs are great though, one of the best steps forward in MTB.

Latest posts

Back