Is backwards compatibility stifling bike design?

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Lots of comments in the peak MTB thread (and plenty of others) about constantly changing standards. Understandable when lots of us upgrade as we go and like to transfer parts to new frames. Does this hinder new, better designs though? Would we be better off with a clean slate?

Some brave companies have tried, but apart from Cannondale no one has really kept at it.
Hope developed a number of proprietary parts for their first bike, including specific hub spacing and radially mounted brakes, but ditched them all. Wasn’t like parts availability was an issue as they made them themselves but the people (not) buying them couldn’t stand the thought of not being able to fit their favourite heirloom parts.

Doesn’t bother me with cars or even motorbikes, so why should I worry if my 10 year old wheels will work with a new frame. Is there just not enough gain for what we’d lose?

Depending on what standards we are talking about there is usually an adapter available not long after after the change.

Nothing is standard any longer. It’s not like the 90s where you can pick almost any frame and build it with parts you’ve got. The future retro bike builders of 2050 are going to have a hard time.

Hope’s bike was a flop because it was old geometry when launched and not anywhere near its competition. Pity as I really like Hope stuff.

Isn't there a much better seat-seatpost setup that works really well but still hasn't displaced the quite naff, fiddly, squeaky and twin rail setup?

Mech design is moving on, pushing a change in frame, the bottom bracket change has allowed frame changes.

What do you want, belt drive and hub gears, so much better for MTB (hub gears) but they would stop the constant posts I see of snapped mechs and bent hanger.... So sales would be lost.

We have fecking E bikes now, and big wheels, funny suspension, lock on grips,

I guess we still have round wheels, probably hard to evolve from that, but tracks may work better off road? .. Recumbent bikes are much better for using, but these massive SUV cars would just squash us.

I think it does yes, though it is a business for most and finding enough people to afford a whole new standard to make it viable is maybe to big a gamble for most.

Changing standards are fine if they hang around long enough, boost for example has become ubiquitous so parts shouldn't ever be a problem. It's things that don't take off and last for one product cycle, that leave people high and dry in 5 years time when support disappears.
A clean slate approach could be a good thing for performance, but would probably limit upgrade potential, which, lets face it is a big part of the enthusiast market and as above could leave you with an entirely useless bike when the proprietary parts are no longer available. I can see this happening with e-bike motors/batteries fairly soon unfortunately.

Isn't there a much better seat-seatpost setup that works really well but still hasn't displaced the quite naff, fiddly, squeaky and twin rail setup?

I beam. I actually tried it. Problem for me was the great big stiff beam runs right down the middle of the saddle, just where you want it to flex.

Gears are a perfect example. Have seen a new system on Pinkbike that separates the shifting element from the chain tension element. Tucks away in the frame away from danger but can’t see it catching on.
Have tried gear hub (Alfine) but it was heavy, draggy and shifted like garbage. Could really feel the extra weight out back like a pendulum. Never bought into the mech sale conspiracy theory. I haven’t broken one is over 10 years. Pretty sure you could have a perfect hub gear and it still wouldn’t sell because it won’t work with M737 thumbies 😂😂😂

Funnily enough, I can imagine it'll be ebikes where standards will go. I well imagine a combined motor/gear box - specific to each manufacturer. Already seems daft to have a mech and set of cogs with an ebike.

I think the enthusiasts in 20+ years from now will have a lot more tools at their disposal eg more 3D printing of replacement components.

Back