Internal reflections upon internal gears

I'd suggest a happy start is a 40 tooth and an 18/19 cog....go from there really👍
On a sturmey treat second gear as your single speed go gear and then you got an easy one when climbing that wopper of hill and another for going whoopeee down the other side 👍
Sounds very reasonable, I would start somewhere and play with chainrings and cogs to fine tune.

With a 36x19 in the middle, is the small gear not going to be tiny?

Isn't it! It must be a featured segment on Strava surely as they've painted start and finish lines on it.
I bet there's loads lof lycra clad imlachs there at weekends counting watts!
What that picture doesn't show is the rescue chopper in the background on standby with colourful plasters and orange juice for the many, many riders who fail halfway.

There's been talks of adding rails to the pavement, with the amount of youth daringly standing on the edge.

Sounds very reasonable, I would start somewhere and play with chainrings and cogs to fine tune.

With a 36x19 in the middle, is the small gear not going to be tiny?
It's 33% less or more than 2 which is drive ...I think thereabouts anyway!
So a 36 19 is ish ish 50 gear inch...so 33% less is a hamster in a wheel and 33% more is ish ish 80 gear inch...feel free to check my muffamatics 😆

Internal geared 5 to 10ish speed mountain bikes were quite popular here about 11 years ago but they seemed to fail when used on mountain bikes. I use a Nexus 3 speed geared 32 x 22 on a 40 pound klunker bicycle. I’m 77 so this is even hard for me on beginner and intermediate trails. I ride old abandoned two track and single track logging roads that have mostly reverted to trails. I do this because they start at my front door. I just rode them about 10 miles and I have 9 trees to cut through because of a wind storm. These trails are full of sticks, which have bent a derailleur on me. With a three speed I don’t have this problem. The Nexus is 7 years old and I have a spare if I need to rebuild it. I like it that much. It always shifts, no skipping and it’s easy to adjust. The coaster has great modulation and doesn’t take a lot of back pedal force to lock it up. If a coaster takes a lot of back pedal force I get tired legs after 30 miles. 9AC877B9-4026-442C-ACD8-B3CD3727224D.jpeg
BBA25DD9-B0DF-44E8-94DF-5DAF4DB5D720.jpeg
4954E65F-4072-4E6B-8050-15A3F6D403D0.jpeg

@Nabeaquam riding at 77 is awesome. Hope I can, don't stop peddaling
I have a friend, since grade school, who is also 77. He has Parkinson’s but bicycle riding is keeping him healthy otherwise. Last year he did a 50 mile mountain bike race but had two other riders riding with him. This year he bought an electric assist mountain bike. He does group rides every week. He is like me, his leg power is gone, so roots and rocks stop him. With the electric bike he can still ride the stuff he used to be able to do. I’d be more inclined to buy an electric assist road bicycle. I fell asleep in my chair after my ride today. This is a new phenomenon for me, I used to keep going after a ride.

@Nabeaquam riding at 77 is awesome. Hope I can, don't stop peddaling
You should be able to ride as long as I have. There isn’t any training programs or training books for geriatric riders. Your max heart rate drops more and more with age and this limits your hill climbing speed. No training will fix that. As long as you stay fit and keep your weight down you’ll be ok. Just don’t expect to keep up with14 year old girls or 50 - 60 year old riders. Just a few years ago I flew down hills and raced over rough stuff. Now I’m cautious, I use breaks on the down hill areas and don’t fly over anything. You’ll probably need orthopedic repairs along the way, part of the penalty for an active life. I’ve had bilateral carpal tunnel repair, left rotator cuff repair, right knee surgery, two left knee surgeries including a total knee, three back surgeries including a multi level fusion. I’m getting close to needing a right shoulder repair and I need some finger joints replaced so I can grip the handlebars without pain. You can probably count on similar stuff if you continue to ride hard, ha. I build my one geriatric gravel, mountain and road bicycles. They make women specific bikes but if you want a serious geriatric bicycle you have to build it yourself. For me that’s lightweight, low bottom gears, a little more upright and a Brooks professional saddle. Columbus SL tubing is very comfortable but surprisingly my home built mountain bike is carbon and is also comfortable. My above green Snyder Y frame klunker is upright and geared low, but looses out in the weight department. It’s a struggle getting on the bike carrier. I really enjoy riding klunkers. I have three klunkers and this green ones is the only one that’s not a single speed. Ride on and on.

Latest posts

Back