Inside my Campagnolo freehub - how to fix?

In the UK, current RRP is £84.50 but of course the box-movers probably have that cut back to almost no profit margin now ...

Some bodies have to be repaired as they can't be replaced as they are no longer in production - the old steel 8s bodies, 8s Ti-cassette bodies (alloy with deep, evenly spaced splines) and pre-2006 9 / 10s bodies which whilst they can be replaced with the more recent ones will also need a new axle to do it, are all candidates for repair.

Re: Re:

cycletothesea":3l9nqz56 said:
jm":3l9nqz56 said:
That freehub takes cartridge bearings,two with a spacer between,yours has come apart.Very carefully tap the race thats left in the freehub out.Then simply buy a new bearing and replace.Not sure whats up with your shop but we do this all the time.
If that's more than you want to do then post it to me and I'll do it for the cost of the bearing and return postage.Bearings are cheap enough,or you could put a stainles one in.jm.

I have to thank John at his bike shop in Newlyn who offered to fix this for me. My LBS in Chiswick gave up by saying that 'it's rusted inside, you to replace the whole hub' - and I actually thought they knew what they were talking about. I've never opened up a freehub before so didn't know what I was looking for. User 'jm' put me right and put a very prominent bike shop in London to shame.

It's lack of product knowledge - but in fairness, you can't know everything. If someone came to me with a broken shock I'd never seen before, for instance (being more road-oriented) I might not know the answer ...

Unfortunately, the question is then around the willingness to admit lack of knowledge, and then the willingness go away and find the answer (so helping the customer and enriching the technician's own knowledge) or taking the easy way out ... too many shops take the easy way out ...

It's a freehub body with cartridge bearings inside,not rocket science really,same as Campag have been doing for a long time.I don't own a shop just work in one.I did this to help another member out,in my lunch break.jm.

gfk_velo":2pebocoy said:
In the UK, current RRP is £84.50 but of course the box-movers probably have that cut back to almost no profit margin now ...

Some bodies have to be repaired as they can't be replaced as they are no longer in production - the old steel 8s bodies, 8s Ti-cassette bodies (alloy with deep, evenly spaced splines) and pre-2006 9 / 10s bodies which whilst they can be replaced with the more recent ones will also need a new axle to do it, are all candidates for repair.

Hi

Thanks for letting me know, that isn't cheap compared to the Sunrace type freewheels found in my shopping basket lol

Shaun

Re:

Hi Jim - I wasn't taking any kind of sideswipe at you in any shape manner of form - you did exactly what I'd have done.

I was referring to the OPs original retailer, who faced with something they clearly didn't know anything about, then took the easy route of saying "just buy a new one" rather than saying - "Hmmm, not sure, let me go and have a look and see if I can find some information" ...

I agree it's not rocket science, it's essentially pretty simple as are most things to do with bicycles ... as I said, though, it comes down to what you don't know, you don't know - but none of us should ever be ashamed to say we don't know, so long as we are willing to go away and find out ... and too many shops seem unwilling to do this.

Back