Information on Barry Hoban bike please

amoto65

Senior Retro Guru
Hi Folks, I am looking for some info on this bike I have ie age value etc, it is a Barry Hoban, 12 speed with Huret Sachs rear mech, Sugino no6 cranks, Shimano tourney brakes, Rigida rims, Maillard hubs, SR stem, Seiki headset and Meiko high ten frame. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF5253.JPG
    DSCF5253.JPG
    992.8 KB · Views: 1,061
Re:

I have found this full page Barry Hoban ad in a 1987 cycling magazine, not the same model but prob a rare press advert anyway. I also recall a British Eagle catalogue 12 page centrefold in one of my old magazines and think it included Barry Hoban range , I will have a look for it when I get chance.

Attachments

• hoban.jpg
    hoban.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 959
Thanks for that, the only thing puzzling me is the fact that on the frame it says Meiko high ten steel.

Re:

That's because it pretty much is. At the time I worked for Falcon, bikes were produced under Falcon, Coventry Eagle, British Eagle, Eddy Merckx and many other names - all but a few of the higher range Falcon models were sourced as frames or CKD bikes from the Far East. When Barry Hoban retired from continental pro racing he rode some races in the UK with the Falcon pro team - I remember getting a bollocking for spending and hour or so talking with him instead of working while he adjusted his bike in the Brigg factory. As a budding road racer at the time I was naive enough to believe that pro cyclists were supplied with all their kit - far from it, for many of his early years his 'Mercier' frames were actually Woodrups sprayed pink and badged up in France.
A while after I left the company British Eagle was split off and moved to a factory in Wales (probably benefiting from some government handout) where he became sales manager I think.

They moved to the old Phillips factory in Newtown Mid-Wales where Barry still lives. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that any 'decent' BH's were sourced from small builders (possibly even Woodrups?).

Back