Info on Real branded front hub?

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
Wondering if anyone is familiar with the below pictured Real front hub. Model?

Is it likely 90s or 2000s?

Weight? Its a 28H unit, I assume cartridge bearings. Nice looking unit IMHO.

It's part of a front wheel I'm thinking of buying where I'm happy with the rim and do not have a spare 28H hub to pair with it. Wondering how it's weight compares with Shimano M732 front hub. I'm not keen to add much weight to the build if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any help info!
Real Hub.jpg

Real was a custom components manufacturer from Boulder, US.
Most known are the nice brake levers or chain rings.

I do have some pictures of a 1995-96 brochure which is also online available at Mombat and some of a 96-97 catalog.

In the latter there are also hubs. The golden elox is a bit miss-leading, but shape-wise the front hub looks like yours.
Real 1996 - 97 hubs.jpg

Brochures do not include technical details or weight information.

In general the quality and style of Real products was premium, I would say it's a interesting wheel to go for...

Last edited:
Thanks @joglo ! This is great info. I've used their chainrings and currently using a nickel plated granny with good success. Their brake levers always looked very sweet.

I continued my search yesterday after posting my questions. I had better luck after adding the word "design" behind the word Real to my search. There's a couple front hubs on eBay for sale, one post states weight at 5oz so if accurate around the 140~g range similar to XT M732.

Glad to see they are most likely mid-late 90s which is close enough for me to being period correct for the intended build, I don't get too bothered by non-period correctness but it's a bonus in this case knowing it's a 90s part.

I did go ahead and pull the trigger last night, includes a nice Mavic 217 rim and possibly lightish weight spokes/nipples, will wait and see.

Found some random MTB forums which have discussed the Real Design hubs with the front hub considered problem free for the most part but Real's rear hub offering seems to have been plagued with issues for the most part. Comforting to hear the front hub is issue free and yes, I do believe mine is the same as the pictured version, think they only had the one design.

Patiently waiting for FedEx..... :cool:

Back