Identifying Chainring Sets

Lou Carpenter

Dirt Disciple
I was looking to buy a used set of chainrings off ebay. I'm currently running 8 speed but really want the 44-32-22 combo usually associated with 9 speed. I would also prefer to buy a set that are designed to work with each other. Is there any way of telling if the chainrings on a crankset were designed to work with one another and have not just been swapped out? For example are all the Shimano chainrings stamped M9, presumably for Mega 9, compatible with each other? Obviously some may be aluminum and some steel.

Bumping this.

I noticed on some chainrings I was looking at there were two letter codes. Is this a date code or is it similar to cassettes which have letters denoting which sprockets work together?

That's a date code usually.
With Shimano they used to give them a group code too, probably find that in the blowout of the cranks.
They also did the same for the rear cogs.

Generally though everything should en fine if you buy the same type OR if you buy rampless.

I would have thought most would follow a Shimano ramp pattern or SRAM ramp pattern if they're not the same.

Just buy a full new set if you can.

Thanks for your help. Buying a new set for me is probably the way forward, but sometimes it's tough to find new stuff that also looks retro.

I think TA and Stronglight are the easier to find.
But it depends what retro look you are after.

You also have the 110 problem of middle rings as they are targeted for doubles now.

But 9sp I would guess compact 5 arm or the newer 4 arm?

Back