ID help needed: 15 old 'sit up and beg' bikes 1950/60's

More pics:

"Farrell" ?

"Raleigh" on the down tube, just visible. Superbe?

B.S.A

"Elswick" ..? "E" lamp bracket

"B.S.A"

number 1) "Rudge"

number 1) "Rudge"

Phew!

original photos are now resized and re-uploaded! Hope that helps..
Im going to update the original post with what i know so far..

Looks to me like you are running a business & you bought a job lot of bikes you know nothing much about.
Yet you expect the forum members to clue you in to the details....

There are some interesting bikes amongst your 60 or so unknowns....
But why should I, or anybody else on this site, help you make money??
Count me out on that one.

Sorry, I'm not interested in helping out a business to make profits.

Its 15 bikes that i cant identify and i am very curious about them, the others i know plenty about. I am not expecting anyone to comment on them, unless they wish to. So no problem if you don't want to join in on the thread.

I rescued these bikes from a barn in my father in laws village in devon. The lady wanted it cleared and he knew i was into bikes, so he got me in touch with her. I spent two days moving the bikes and other bits and pieces and another full day cleaning the barn for her. She had already sent lorry loads of bikes to be sold as scrap, so you almost say i rescued these from a similar fate!

And yes, I will have to sell 90% of them on to cover my costs and because i cant store them. So as of june this you could say I am now a small business dealing in vintage bikes and retro bike parts. A small business, just starting out.

But most importantly, I am here because i love retro and vintage bikes and because i enjoy working with them and learning more about them. Please look at my 1000 plus post and you will see this. I give away advice and parts and i contribute to the general chat too. I did not start this thread as a money spinner or to take advantage of peoples kindness.

Finally, i would just like to say thanks again to everyone who has helped me to identify these fine steeds.

Matt

viscount":2m69ajhq said:
Looks to me like you are running a business & you bought a job lot of bikes you know nothing much about.

viscount":2in09z2v said:

Then you really don't need to throw in on what is an interesting thread. Retrobike is about bikes, whether or not people intend to sell/profit or whatever.

Thanks for posting these pics Gumby, it is great to see a lot of nice old bikes.

You are in London right?

Go to town on them to bring them back as far as possible, lots of new balls and grease, and some chain soaking should see a fair number working a treat.

Knowing how desirable these are in Central London I would say you are sitting on a goldmine!

All the best.

Absolutely. I hope I didn't sound snarky in my comment the other day.

I still go by what I said though. They are old, but nothing is rare; £20 per bike unless you spend a good chunk of time on each one stripping, regreasing and cleaning them. Replacement parts are not going to straightforward things to source for any of them, and none look rideable.

Thanks for posting these pics Gumby, it is great to see a lot of nice old bikes.

You are in London right?

Go to town on them to bring them back as far as possible, lots of new balls and grease, and some chain soaking should see a fair number working a treat.

Knowing how desirable these are in Central London I would say you are sitting on a goldmine!

All the best.

I am in london but the bikes and the other bits are in storage in west dorset. The plan is to bring them up to london bit by bit and do some up. Maybe do up the nicer ones and sell off the ones that are too far gone?

Im not sure about goldmine, knowing how much time and cost it takes to retsor old bikes, but i am looking firward to learning about a new era of biking.. So far my experience of sturmey archerr has been limited to 1970's raliegh bikes. I'd like to find out how to service them one day.

The next step is to seperate them into keepers and doer-uppers..

:)

chris667":13m1k43c said:
Absolutely. I hope I didn't sound snarky in my comment the other day.

I still go by what I said though. They are old, but nothing is rare; £20 per bike unless you spend a good chunk of time on each one stripping, regreasing and cleaning them. Replacement parts are not going to straightforward things to source for any of them, and none look rideable.

I didnt take it that way. I also agree with you 100%, £20 sounds about right for most of them - if i can find someone to pay me that!

The good news is that the bikes came with a massive amount of spare parts, including lots of original sturmey archer components all in the original boxes, clearly labelled. I could see if I've got a picture somewhere.

If it wasn't for the parts i would t have a hope of fixing any of these, but i reckon a few might be achievable. I just need to work out which ones.

so I was in Dorset yesterday and I reorganised the bikes... I moved all the pre 1975 ones into a stable and took about 5 or 10 pictures of each as I moved them.
I have uploaded an extra photo for each one now and also updated the description.

Latest posts

Back