Ibis Ti Mojo dilemma .. What would you do?

cool bike. Personally I would not put disc tabs on it. How is Potts going to repair the tube? Replace or reinforce? Is the crack pretty tough to see? I wonder how it developed, never heard of these cracking.

The crack is hairline, it was pure chance I spotted it cleaning the bike after a ride. Even a close up photo I have to get the light just right to pick it up. I'm not sure how it happened, considering it rode the great divide with me, had numerous crashes over the time I've owned it, it's done well.

My feeling is I'll replace the head tube, not because I need to but because inch eighth will help a lot in future fork choice and I can still put the black sheep rigid back on with a reduced. It won't ruin the look.

I'll ignore the disk tab desire, the vee's are fine and its not a bike I'd use in Alps trips these days so power is less needed than it might have been if it was my regular only bike.

You guys have helped. I may even ignore changing the headset...

:)

if this is a bike you want to keep so will never sell - orginality does not come into it - and it should evolve with the times. Get it fixed, fit larger head tube, fit disc tab not forgetting the hose tabs, assuming the stays are designed for it and remove the v-brake bosses to keep the frame clean.

If it was good before, it will be even better with the upgrades. Disc brakes are so much better than v-brakes, especially in the wet/mud and you need only replace a £ 15 disc rotor, a 5 minute job, instead of paying £ 30+ for new rime and rebuidling the wheel.

02gf74":28a44oeq said:
if this is a bike you want to keep so will never sell - orginality does not come into it - and it should evolve with the times. Get it fixed, fit larger head tube, fit disc tab not forgetting the hose tabs, assuming the stays are designed for it and remove the v-brake bosses to keep the frame clean.

If it was good before, it will be even better with the upgrades. Disc brakes are so much better than v-brakes, especially in the wet/mud and you need only replace a £ 15 disc rotor, a 5 minute job, instead of paying £ 30+ for new rime and rebuidling the wheel.

The same bike...

...but even better!

Or is it? :roll:

suburbanreuben":1iyko0sh said:
The same bike...

...but even better!

Since I can't ride rigid forks no more and very pro-disc, I am probably the least retro bike oriented member on here. :?

I will be hated for this but sometimes you got to take of the retro-tinted spectacles :cool: to smell the disc pads and realise that mtb technology has moved and it should be embraced. Retro bikes should be looked as curiosities, just like black and white TV, you can ride them if you like (I refer to the bike, not TV) but unless there is a good reason to keep them original, and in many cases there is, I see no reason why they should not be improved.

I treated my proflex to disc brakes, fitted the new fangled 9-speed gear system and a modern rear air shock - so the difference is that it gets used more instead of sadly hanging in the garage looking forlorn and unloved. :cry:

.... and remember it is your bike so do what suits you best!

I should add that I have a ti mojo limited, one of the frames they had made recently because some customers wanted one, so I already have an inch eighth headtube and disk brake version to ride. So i am spoilt with options. Thus makes me think I'll keep it pretty orginal.

ti_pin_man said:
Disk mount yes or no?
If yes, remove brake bosses and or hand job?/quote]

In a word : NO
The hand job is so iconic on that frame that you have to keep it on it. It's like removing the "Spirit of Ecstasy" of a Rolls Royce.
There's some Mojo Ti made in the beginning of 2000 with disc mount and without the hand job. But they really don't have the same aura and value than the first frame, made in the mid 95

Keep your frame original and buy a modern mojo Ti.

02gf74":1cp08jui said:
suburbanreuben":1cp08jui said:
The same bike...

...but even better!

Since I can't ride rigid forks no more and very pro-disc, I am probably the least retro bike oriented member on here. :?

I will be hated for this but sometimes you got to take of the retro-tinted spectacles :cool: to smell the disc pads and realise that mtb technology has moved and it should be embraced. Retro bikes should be looked as curiosities, just like black and white TV, you can ride them if you like (I refer to the bike, not TV) but unless there is a good reason to keep them original, and in many cases there is, I see no reason why they should not be improved.

I treated my proflex to disc brakes, fitted the new fangled 9-speed gear system and a modern rear air shock - so the difference is that it gets used more instead of sadly hanging in the garage looking forlorn and unloved. :cry:

.... and remember it is your bike so do what suits you best!

PoppyCock!

Just short of your 20th wedding anniversary the missus falls down the steps and breaks her ankle.
While she's in hospital having it fixed you ask the surgeon to give her some comedy funbags, tighten up her down-belows and make her lips more pouty. She's showing her age a bit, you see.
Are you going to love her more? Is she going to love you more or run off with the greengrocer?
You've got your younger bit on the side, so leave her alone!

Back