I will never buy a bmw (a must read for the Rover bashers)

Rover were never going to succeed in the long run. As to whether or not BMW hastened that demise, well, maybe you have a point.

Really, I think all the big players in the automotive industry are stuffed, long term. Oil prices are going to make big cars a very silly investment soon.

the other argument i have seen revolves around BMW wanting to modernise rover....

but being prevented by rampant trade unionism. the thing that really killed our car industry...

Surely this is a simple case of survival of the fittest... If Rover hadn't got itself in the position it had - it wouldn't have needed anyone, let alone BMW.

Surely the biggest con with Rover was the aftermath of BMW's ownership - John Towers and his crisp £10 note...

It is true that Rover made crap for years, nevermind who owned them. As has been mentioned before; Metros, Montegos and Maestros, amongst others were just bad cars, especially in a market where cars like the Golf were being produced.

ringo":p3inbwly said:
Surely this is a simple case of survival of the fittest... If Rover hadn't got itself in the position it had - it wouldn't have needed anyone, let alone BMW.

Surely the biggest con with Rover was the aftermath of BMW's ownership - John Towers and his crisp £10 note...

The biggest con with Rover was being lumped into the BL Group, it was previously a sought after upmarket brand. It spend the 80's recovering and in the 90's there were new products being developed, and then came BMW who used their money to develop new BMW products and then asset stripped.

I don't believe BMW ever came along to make Rover work in the same way VAG came along to make Skoda and Seat to work. At the time of BMW takeover, Rover was making the same number of cars as BMW and was profitable.

And yes, Rover may have taken itself down, but we will never know that for sure.

Easy_Rider":qronyq6j said:
ringo":qronyq6j said:

The biggest con with Rover was being lumped into the BL Group, it was previously a sought after upmarket brand. It spend the 80's recovering and in the 90's there were new products being developed, and then came BMW who used their money to develop new BMW products and then asset stripped.

I don't believe BMW ever came along to make Rover work in the same way VAG came along to make Skoda and Seat to work. At the time of BMW takeover, Rover was making the same number of cars as BMW and was profitable.

And yes, Rover may have taken itself down, but we will never know that for sure.

Amen.

Has anyone seen the new MG that the chinese are going to make, with shared production at Longbridge?

457512.1-lg.jpg

If its a good car I will definetly consider one.

the k series if rebuilt properly is a crackin motor bit like the B16
honda motor its based on ,however as first built about 95% of them
were crap

bmw/rover not really a unique situation

Back